* Login   * Register * FAQ
It is currently Sat May 27, 2017 4:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 434 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:37 am 
2000cc Scooter Royalty

Scooter Model(s): 2009 Aprilia Scarabeo 200
Motosport wrote:
robgee9 wrote:
There is no such thing as a "pie expert"! Having a few thousand taste buds qualifies you!
Personally I don't use the word "best" except when referring to the beautiful and talented Bebe.
Keste and L&B are light years apart in every way but both are amazing I.M.H.O..
I've been to most of the places on the list and they are all excellent but diverse.

Who or what is this "Bebe" you speak of?? A restaurant? A shop? A brand? A woman?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:41 am 
2000cc Scooter Royalty

Billyrocka wrote:
The best pizza is the one i'm shoving down my gullet at any given time. :mrgreen:

And that's the problem with pizza -- 95% of it is excellent if you're hungry! Take a bread truck, a cheese truck and a tomato sauce truck and crash them all into one another in Times Square, and you'd have a delicious feast for hundreds in the wreckage.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:48 am 
1000cc Scooter Legend

Scooter Model(s): smoking & non-smoking
robgee9 wrote:
Billyrocka wrote:
The best pizza is the one i'm shoving down my gullet at any given time. :mrgreen:

And that's the problem with pizza -- 95% of it is excellent if you're hungry! Take a bread truck, a cheese truck and a tomato sauce truck and crash them all into one another in Times Square, and you'd have a delicious feast for hundreds in the wreckage.

I'd pay up to $5 for that slice & the entertainment value!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:08 pm 
1000cc Scooter Legend

Scooter Model(s): 1984 Honda Aero 125 Red, 1982 Honda Urban Express, 1995 Honda Nighthawk 750
Billyrocka wrote:
Motosport wrote:

Personally I don't use the word "best" except when referring to the beautiful and talented Bebe.
I've been to most of the places on the list and they are all excellent but diverse.

Just like puppies, there is no bad pizza!!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:10 pm 
1000cc Scooter Legend

Scooter Model(s): 1984 Honda Aero 125 Red, 1982 Honda Urban Express, 1995 Honda Nighthawk 750
robgee9 wrote:
Motosport wrote:
robgee9 wrote:
There is no such thing as a "pie expert"! Having a few thousand taste buds qualifies you!

Who or what is this "Bebe" you speak of?? A restaurant? A shop? A brand? A woman?

Can a shop, brand or restaurant be beautiful and talented? Bebe is my main squeeze!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:53 pm 
2000cc Scooter Royalty

I see. And the subsidiary squeezes? Does Bebe know about those?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:10 pm 
1000cc Scooter Legend

robgee9 wrote:
I see. And the subsidiary squeezes? Does Bebe know about those?

I cleaned house. Just Bebe and Thom.

Riley too!! That does not count.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:40 am 
2000cc Scooter Royalty

And does Bebe make pizza? What is her recipe?
Back on topic!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:25 pm 
1000cc Scooter Legend

robgee9 wrote:
And does Bebe make pizza? What is her recipe?
Back on topic!

Did we get off topic??

Bebe does not make pizza but we plan on hitting Lucali soon. I hear it is amazing.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:50 am 
2000cc Scooter Royalty

I read the reviews on Yelp of Lucali, and I can't say it makes me want to go there. A few people wrote about some attitude issues there -- i.e., waiters and staff who let you know they feel you're privileged to eat in their establishment. I mean, OK, we get it -- you have good pizza, and you've been written up in magazines, and there is a line outside, and you don't take reservations. I mean, fine. But what are we talking about here? It's pizza, not the newly-discovered mummified remains of Tutankhamunn. It's fucking tomato sauce and cheese on some warm bread. We are not helping to cure cancer, and we are not watching some death-defying act. We are filling our pie-holes, and although we appreciate your efforts at making a good pizza, please don't act as if we should be genuflecting in the presence of your ovens.

Just my two cents. Which is a lot more expensive than Lucali pizza, which goes for north of $20 for a large.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:30 pm 
50cc Lane Splitter

Scooter Model(s): GTS300 Super Sport SS S SSSSSSS s
If you have never been to Lucali then you are missing something. The pizza is fantastic. The wait staff is great. Some people don't like the staff because they don't kiss ass. They don't form the lines, they just serve them. I watch so many 'entitled' people get turned away and so they get their feelings hurt. If you bother to watch, they care more for the little guy than the big guy. I watched them turn Clare Danes away and at the same time made room for a group visiting from Texas who had only once chance to be there.

The reason most places can pump out cheaper pizza is because they use lesser ingredients. I know it's hard for the public to understand but if you use the best ingredients you have to pay for them. They only sell pizza so that's where they need to make their money because they don't sell much liquor to absorbs the costs.

If you think pizza is "fucking tomato sauce and cheese on some warm bread" then don't go to Lucali and don't bother commenting on this thread.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:59 pm 
1000cc Scooter Legend

ewitz wrote:
If you have never been to Lucali then you are missing something. The pizza is fantastic. The wait staff is great. Some people don't like the staff because they don't kiss ass. They don't form the lines, they just serve them. I watch so many 'entitled' people get turned away and so they get their feelings hurt. If you bother to watch, they care more for the little guy than the big guy. I watched them turn Clare Danes away and at the same time made room for a group visiting from Texas who had only once chance to be there.

The reason most places can pump out cheaper pizza is because they use lesser ingredients. I know it's hard for the public to understand but if you use the best ingredients you have to pay for them. They only sell pizza so that's where they need to make their money because they don't sell much liquor to absorbs the costs.

If you think pizza is "fucking tomato sauce and cheese on some warm bread" then don't go to Lucali and don't bother commenting on this thread.

I'm with you Eric!!
I've been to Lucali 3 times:
First time, broken pipe, closed.
Second and third time 2 hour wait which we were not up for.
It looks amazing and worth another try or two.
It's got to be as good as the Mac & Cheese & Bacon at Double Windsor!!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:34 pm 
2000cc Scooter Royalty

ewitz wrote:

Well I hope your'e right that I'm missing something , Eric!

Pizza IS fucking tomato sauce and cheese on warm bread. I'm just phrasing it that way to make the point that snobbery isn't justified just because you have a good product -- Lucali's or anywhere.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:29 pm 
150cc Daily Rider

Scooter Model(s): Piaggio BV350
robgee9 wrote:
ewitz wrote:

Well I hope your'e right that I'm missing something , Eric!

Pizza IS fucking tomato sauce and cheese on warm bread. I'm just phrasing it that way to make the point that snobbery isn't justified just because you have a good product -- Lucali's or anywhere.

I can't believe I'm writing this, but I actually agree with Rob, for once. Not about the "tomato and bread" part, but about the snobbery. I just can't understand why people would stand in line for hours just to try something and say "been there, done that". How many of you stood in line for a cronut? I've spoken to some "Cronut fans" that have waited close to 3 hours for these things. Then again, the most I'd probably spend waiting for pizza is 15 minutes, Lucali's or otherwise.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:39 pm 
50cc Lane Splitter

Just because people will wait on line doesn't make it snobbery. And it doesn't make the people working there snobs either. The snobs are the people who show up with the entitled attitude.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:11 am 
2000cc Scooter Royalty

OK Eric, I will try Lucali's and report back to the board. I shall humbly approach the Lucali's kingdom, and beseech them for a sample of their vaunted treasure.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:58 am 
1000cc Scooter Legend

robgee9 wrote:
OK Eric, I will try Lucali's and report back to the board. I shall humbly approach the Lucali's kingdom, and beseech them for a sample of their vaunted treasure.

Let me know when and I'll join you. We'll get there 2 hours before they open. I'll bring the amazing Bebe!!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:07 pm 
1000cc Scooter Legend

Greg S wrote:
robgee9 wrote:
ewitz wrote:

I can't believe I'm writing this, but I actually agree with Rob, for once. Not about the "tomato and bread" part, but about the snobbery. I just can't understand why people would stand in line for hours just to try something and say "been there, done that". How many of you stood in line for a cronut? I've spoken to some "Cronut fans" that have waited close to 3 hours for these things. Then again, the most I'd probably spend waiting for pizza is 15 minutes, Lucali's or otherwise.

A few years ago I put together a birthday pizza bus tour for 20 close friends. Grimaldi's was our first stop. Since we planned on eating in the park by the river I tried calling ahead. No answer. Got there and waited on line for an hour to place an order to go and then waited another hour for 4 pies. While waiting I noticed their phone ringing off the hook. "Why don't you answer the phone? I got a "look" and another "look" toward the line of Nebraskans and Sooners and a "Why should we answer the phone?"

I am glad we tried it. The pizza was good (#6 of 6 pizza joints we hit) but not worth the wait and the attitude. Now Grimaldi's pizza places are like cockroaches, everywhere!!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:12 pm 
50cc Lane Splitter

robgee9 wrote:

Do us a favor and don't. Go up to New Haven.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:08 pm 
2000cc Scooter Royalty

Motosport wrote:
robgee9 wrote:

Let me know when and I'll join you. We'll get there 2 hours before they open. I'll bring the amazing Bebe!!

Will do!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 434 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next