* Login   * Register * FAQ
It is currently Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:40 am 
Co-Founder

Scooter Model(s): '05 Stella
PLEASE Be careful. I know you are, but just a reminder that your friends are always thinking about you.

This headline grabbed my attention and naturally makes me think of many of you.

~Allison W.

Crash Causes Partial Closure of Lincoln Tunnel, Massive Delays
Thursday, February 24, 2011 - 09:15 AM
By Associated Press

Lincoln Tunnel
A rush hour collision involving a motorcycle and three buses has forced the partial closure of the Lincoln Tunnel, causing delays of up to two hours and shutting down two Manhattan-bound lanes.

The motorcyclist was taken to Bellevue Hospital in critical condition. Twenty-eight bus passengers have been transported to area hospitals, according to the fire department. None has life-threatening injuries.

The accident occurred around 7:25 a.m. Thursday morning in the tunnel connecting New Jersey and New York City and remains under investigation.

Two lanes in and out of the city remain open.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:38 am 

Scooter Model(s): GTV 250, Mana 850, Stella, BMW R75/6, '64 VBB, '84 MG LeMans 3, '64 GS 160, MG California 1400
Hope it is not someone we know. Whoever it is, we hope they make it. And if you look at some comments to the news articles many are so anti-PTWs like we have no right to be on the road or we are assumed to be at fault before the story is in.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:50 am 
2000cc Scooter Royalty

Scooter Model(s): 2009 Aprilia Scarabeo 200
There have been some bizarre headlines on the wires for this: "Motorcyclist Hits 3 Buses in Lincoln Tunnel". Must have been a pinball effect. Just heard he's critical and there are 50 some odd injured, so hope everyone makes it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:54 am 
2000cc Scooter Royalty

vesparazzi wrote:
some comments to the news articles many are so anti-PTWs like we have no right to be on the road or we are assumed to be at fault before the story is in.

Interesting, but understandable. Most life-long drivers don't see the point of exposing yourself as we do. It's a natural prejudice I think, but if it turns out that this guy was being stupid, it's bad for everybody.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:05 am 

Scooter Model(s): GTV 250, Mana 850, Stella, BMW R75/6, '64 VBB, '84 MG LeMans 3, '64 GS 160, MG California 1400
robgee9 wrote:
vesparazzi wrote:
some comments to the news articles many are so anti-PTWs like we have no right to be on the road or we are assumed to be at fault before the story is in.

Interesting, but understandable. Most life-long drivers don't see the point of exposing yourself as we do. It's a natural prejudice I think, but if it turns out that this guy was being stupid, it's bad for everybody.

There are comments like "if he was splitting lanes he deserved it." No one deserves it. But as those of us on two wheels know, there is just too little regard for us out there. Bus drivers, at least the union professional ones, are usually ok, but I've seen how those buses run into that tunnel as if they were the only vehicle on the road. But isn't that the attitude of most drivers.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:11 am 
2000cc Scooter Royalty

It's all the more reason to give anything on four wheels, or 8 or 18, a very wide berth. For me, I always avoid getting right behind a bus going through the tunnel.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:31 am 
Co-Founder

Scooter Model(s): '05 Stella
UPDATE:

Dozens Injured After Motorcycle, 3 Buses Crash in Lincoln Tunnel
Thursday, February 24, 2011 - 11:12 AM
By WNYC Newsroom

A rush hour collision involving a motorcycle and three buses has forced the partial closure of the Lincoln Tunnel, injuring dozens of commuters and shutting down two Manhattan-bound lanes.

The motorcyclist was taken to Bellevue Hospital in critical condition. Fifty-two bus passengers have been transported to area hospitals, according to the fire department. None has life-threatening injuries, but 14 were taken to Roosevelt Hospital.

The accident occurred around 7:25 a.m. Thursday morning in the tunnel connecting New Jersey and New York City and remains under investigation.

Two lanes in and out of the city remain open.

The four vehicles involved in the crash are still in the tunnel at the site of the accident, which is closer to the New York side.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:01 pm 
4000cc Scooter Titan

Scooter Model(s): 2006 LX190 DRAGON RED SCOOTER
does anyone remember the motorcycle crash video that the rider landed on his feet, almost same situation but our guy wasnt so lucky. the bus in front slowed unexpectly and bus following ran into him.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:20 pm 
250cc Rally Go'er

Scooter Model(s): Vespa GTS (4Sale), P200e, 70's Orange P125x BMW K1200RS, 07 Harley Sportster.
Update on the accident.... The motorcyclist was NOT at fault as per the NY Daily News.

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/201 ... morni.html

A chain-reaction wreck involving a motorcycle and three buses in the Lincoln Tunnel injured 53 people and snarled the Thursday morning commute.

The motorcyclist was critically injured when he was sandwiched between two of the buses, an NYPD source said.

The wreck happened in the Manhattan-bound lanes of the tunnel's center tube shortly before 7:30 a.m., a Port Authority spokeswoman said.

The motorcyclist was riding between two of the buses, the NYPD source said. When the first bus stopped for traffic, the second bus slammed the motorcyclist from behind, pinning him against the first bus, the source said.

The motorcyclist was rushed by ambulance to Bellevue Hospital, an FDNY official said. He suffered a broken leg and a broken shoulder and had to be intubated at the hospital, another FDNY source said. He was not immediately identified.

A total of 52 passengers on the buses were injured, FDNY officials said. Most of the injuries were minor, but 13 of the passengers suffered more serious injuries and were taken to Roosevelt Hospital, the FDNY officials said.

The Lincoln Tunnel normally operates with four Manhattan-bound lanes during the morning rush hour. The crash led to the closure of two of those lanes.

The accident happened near the Manhattan side of the tunnel. Many of the vehicles that were stranded in the tunnel closer to the New Jersey side were backed out of the tube with the help of police, the Port Authority spokeswoman said.

But unlucky motorists who were just behind the wreck were stranded for more than three hours as authorities investigated the crash.

Those vehicles were in the process of being released from the tunnel shortly before 11 a.m., the Port Authority spokeswoman said.

Two of the buses involved in the crash were New Jersey Transit buses. The authority's website said bus service into the Port Authority Bus Terminal in Manhattan was delayed by as much as 45 minutes because of the accident.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:27 pm 
2000cc Scooter Royalty

Well, if true, maybe the cyclist should have allowed more space behind the first bus. It's so much harder to judge the speed of buses. You gotta be WAY back, at least so the bus driver can see you in his rear view. Or just don't let yourself get behind one in the tunnel in the first place.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:51 pm 
250cc Rally Go'er

Scooter Model(s): Vespa GTS (4Sale), P200e, 70's Orange P125x BMW K1200RS, 07 Harley Sportster.
robgee9 wrote:
Well, if true, maybe the cyclist should have allowed more space behind the first bus. It's so much harder to judge the speed of buses. You gotta be WAY back, at least so the bus driver can see you in his rear view. Or just don't let yourself get behind one in the tunnel in the first place.

??????!!!!!! Care to explain? He was rear ended by the SECOND bus, the first bus simply stopped for traffic and the second bus was not paying attention. I find it hard to fault the motorcyclist for anything other than trying to get where he or she was going.

Quote:
The motorcyclist was riding between two of the buses, the NYPD source said. When the first bus stopped for traffic, the second bus slammed the motorcyclist from behind, pinning him against the first bus, the source said.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:03 pm 
2000cc Scooter Royalty

No, you're right. We don't know the details, so it's premature. But if the first bus stopped for traffic, and the cyclist was far enough back, everyone slows down and there's no contact. It sound like all three were going fast and there was a sudden slowdown and the brakes came too late. I would just never get between two buses on a bike in the tunnel unless I couldn't help it. Imagine being a bus driver, and you have this little ant in front of you, and it's dark and the tunnel road is narrow. We are at such a disadvantage, and I'm just saying if the deck is stacked, fold your hand and wait until the next hand.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:27 pm 

Dean wrote:
robgee9 wrote:

??????!!!!!! Care to explain? He was rear ended by the SECOND bus, the first bus simply stopped for traffic and the second bus was not paying attention. I find it hard to fault the motorcyclist for anything other than trying to get where he or she was going.

Quote:

On the CBS site someone commented who was purportedly a passenger on the second bus that hit him and it said the motorcycle was changing lanes and cut in between the buses. I don;t know what the truth is and perhaps the second bus didn't have enough time to stop if the guy cut in, but then again if it pinned him between the two buses, the second bus was following the other bus too closely to stop absent the motorcycle.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:45 pm 
2000cc Scooter Royalty

If he was changing lanes all bets are off.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:17 pm 
Organizer Emeritus

Scooter Model(s): Vespa GTS 250
In all the reports there is nothing about the motorcyclist changing lanes.

http://www.stanwagner.net

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:30 pm 
4000cc Scooter Titan

Scooter Model(s): 2006 LX190 DRAGON RED SCOOTER

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:20 pm 
5000cc Scooter God

Scooter Model(s): 2006 Yamaha Morphous "The Scoodillac"
“There is your story and there is my story, and somewhere in the middle is the truth.” – Old Hebrew Proverb

Peace and take care of yourselves,
José

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:59 am 
2000cc Scooter Royalty

http://www.mycentraljersey.com/article/ ... res-dozens

"Officials said the motor­cycle was seen on tunnel cameras weaving between lanes and driving in be­tween buses."

I hope they take the moron's license.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:21 am 

robgee9 wrote:
http://www.mycentraljersey.com/article/20110225/NJNEWS10/110225001/Tunnel-crash-involving-Central-Jersey-buses-snarls-traffic-injures-dozens

"Officials said the motor­cycle was seen on tunnel cameras weaving between lanes and driving in be­tween buses."

I hope they take the moron's license.

We've all done stupid things, BUT, one thing is for certain, the bus behind him was NOT traveling at a safe distance for its speed. The motorcycle did not cause that bus (last one) to hit the one in front. It would have hit it regardless of the motorcycle. It is something that happened in front of the front bus that caused the stop. If you hit someone from behind you do not have enough distance between you for you to stop. Clear as day.

And I've seen how those NJ Transit and commuter buses head like a convoy into the LT from the bus lane. You can't get a sheet of paper between them. They will run you down.

Last evening heading up 10th Ave and then east across CP at 65 St I had to keep a Cadillac Escalade off my tail. I was on a motorcycle. At Park Ave I wanted to kick his ass but just headed on my way. Every day a cage is following too close.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:29 am 
2000cc Scooter Royalty

For certain? You were driving the bus?

If the cyclist is weaving, there IS no safe distance, because the biker is not there, By the time the biker -- illegally -- switches lanes, it's probably too late for that bus to stop, because the biker has cut in half the stiopping distance that the second bus was leaving behind the first bus. You can hardly say it would have hit it regardless of the motorcycle -- how do you know?