* Login   * Register * FAQ
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Only post questions involving engines, mods, stuff that requires wrenches, specialized tools or would otherwise interest grease monkeys here please. Questions about top cases, mirrors, seats and other accessories, tires, etc. will be moved to Open Discussion.

Post subject: Wobbly rear wheel
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:57 pm 
Poster Child

Scooter Model(s): Vespa 150 GL
Hi everyone -

My rear wheel is a bit wobbly, and after searching the forum and google a while, I can't say I found a way to fix this (maybe because it's so easy, but I'm a newbie). Any help appreciated!

david

Post subject: Re: Wobbly rear wheel
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:25 pm 
Organizer Emeritus

Scooter Model(s): 2004 et4; 1980 p200; 1963 li150+
What kind of scooter is it?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:03 am 
Poster Child

150GL

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:32 am 
Artist-in-Residence

Scooter Model(s): *
Assuming you mean a vintage Vespa GL? Prop the bike so the rear wheel is off the ground. Grab the tire and try to rock the wheel back and forth; if there's movement something is loose; if there's no movement something could be bent.

First and easiest to check is the rim. It's attached to the hub with five nuts. Check to be sure those are not loose or stripped or missing washers (the rim itself is also held together by five other nuts -- make sure you're looking at the right ones). Check that the rim itself isn't bent/damaged.

Second and a bit more involved is the hub. Remove the rim and follow the directions here to remove and remount the hub:

http://www.vespamaintenance.com/body/rbrake/

This shows the process with the engine out of the bike, but since you'll be doing it with the engine mounted you can have someone stand on the rear brake pedal to keep the hub from spinning while you loosen the nut. Take a look at the hub and the threads on the nut and axle and make sure all looks good before remounting. Make sure the washer is there and in good shape. Check to see that there is no play with the axle. It's very important that you torque the nut down to the proper spec with a torque wrench. The linked tutorial has specs for a P series; it might be the same for a GL but you need to check to see what the proper spec is for your bike. Have the same friend stand on the brake while you tighten the nut if you don't have another way to secure the hub. Use a new cotter pin, and bend it over the nut as shown in the tutorial.

If it still wobbles after that, it could be time for a new hub. If there was play in the axle, you'll need to dig deeper. In any case, it's pretty important that you don't ride with a wobbly hub.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:11 pm 
Poster Child

Wow, thank you SO much for taking the time to send such a thorough reply. I did mean a vintage 150GL. The wheel does not move from back to front, only laterally. Will try following your instructions, and will post my learnings/pictures here (probably in ~10 days, going away today).