* Login   * Register * FAQ
It is currently Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Please DO NOT POST NEW QUESTIONS in this section. The Moderators move threads containing frequently asked questions (that have already been answered) here. However, if you have useful information, feel free to add it to the appropriate existing thread.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:53 am 
2000cc Scooter Royalty

Scooter Model(s): a green one
I wish I had known that GS160s SS180s and SS90s would someday be highly collectable. Then I might have stockpiled them in my dad's garage rather than ride them off the end of piers into the ocean.

I think mike's piece of advice is the best so far...

Billyrocka wrote:
My small bit of advice is the take the MSF Course first before you buy anything, whether it be a scooter or motorcyle. You may find that after you've taken the course that scooters aren't for you or vice versa.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:27 am 
Organizer Emeritus

Scooter Model(s): Vespa GTS 250
Avoid riding over sewer caps when turning in wet weather. Also painted lines, arrows, etc. on roadway.

http://www.stanwagner.net

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:24 pm 
4000cc Scooter Titan

Scooter Model(s): Vespa 1966 Sears Blue Badge 150,1963 TV 175 SIII with Casa 186,2007 GTV 250, 1979 P200 with 210 kit.
Shoot I had a half face and one time an insect hit my cheek so dam hard I almost fell off my scoot from the shock. Full face is the way to go keeps your face protected and warm in the winter. You don't want to hear the story about my friend whose face would have been ripped off if he didn't have a full one on! Yeesh!

If you open up a can of worms...expect people to go fishing!!!

The brother did not have good intentions!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:55 pm 
4000cc Scooter Titan

Scooter Model(s): Lambretta Jet 200, Honda CB350 Four
nelsonthecomic wrote:
You don't want to hear the story about my friend whose face would have been ripped off if he didn't have a full one on! Yeesh!

Actually - - I'd like to see pics of the helmet too.

"I've upped my standards. Now, up yours." -Pat Paulson

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:32 pm 
Co-Founder

Scooter Model(s): The electric one that obese people get around on.
Resist the temptation to spend a lot of money on so called "designer" flip-flops. The cheapest ones available will do just fine.
Only drink as much as you can afford before riding and, finally, only accept those into your sandbox that you've personally invited.

I'm so funny.

Last edited by CiaoNY on Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:05 am 
4000cc Scooter Titan

CiaoNY wrote:
only accept those into your sandbox that you've personally invited.

That's a really hard lesson to learn. Ah well.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:24 pm 
250cc Rally Go'er

1)Always act/ride as thogh the others around you have NO IDEA you're there.
2)Watch front tires not blinkers to figure out where cagers are going next
3) never hit a deep pot hole with your front tire - if you must - go with the back you'll stay upright and just have a bent rim, the other way will toss you over the front bars...

Life, it can be said, is invariably fatal.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:25 pm 
4000cc Scooter Titan

Scooter Model(s): Vespa 1966 Sears Blue Badge 150,1963 TV 175 SIII with Casa 186,2007 GTV 250, 1979 P200 with 210 kit.
If anyone remembers anything,#1 is the 1st commandment.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:53 pm 
25cc Weekend Buzzer

Scooter Model(s): Vespa ET4
There's a UK promotional video that's being highlighted on MSN.com called "Pay Attention". The goal of the campaign is to make motorists more away of cyclists (doesn't specify bicycle or motorcycle, but does it really matter?)

You can see the video going with this at http://video.msn.com/?mkt=en-us&vid=634 ... NHP&tab=m3
or http://www.stupidvideos.com/video/just_ ... ness_Test/

It's interesting...

Take care,
Christine

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:40 am 
50cc Lane Splitter

Scooter Model(s): Red 2008 SYM HD 200
Wish I knew rule 3 before hand. Just went down 2 days ago. When a pothole swallowed the bike and I went flying. I'm jealous of super man. I was pretty fun flying until the ground got in the way. Glad, I always ride with full riding gear, either on the motorcycle or the scooter. Over ankle boots, riding pants, jacket, gloves, and fullface helmet.

I will take a picture of where my helmet met the ashphalt. Thank god I had a full face helmet on.

Not surewho posted that a budget needs to include riding gear as the main priority and what ever is left over should be for the bike.

MaxPuzzle wrote:
3) never hit a deep pot hole with your front tire - if you must - go with the back you'll stay upright and just have a bent rim, the other way will toss you over the front bars...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:43 am 
4000cc Scooter Titan

MrEvolution wrote:
Wish I knew rule 3 before hand. Just went down 2 days ago. When a pothole swallowed the bike and I went flying. I'm jealous of super man. I was pretty fun flying until the ground got in the way. Glad, I always ride with full riding gear, either on the motorcycle or the scooter. Over ankle boots, riding pants, jacket, gloves, and fullface helmet.

I will take a picture of where my helmet met the ashphalt. Thank god I had a full face helmet on.

Not surewho posted that a budget needs to include riding gear as the main priority and what ever is left over should be for the bike.

So I guess you're okay? No broken bones?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:54 am 
4000cc Scooter Titan

MrEvolution wrote:

MaxPuzzle wrote:

Boots,boots,boots everone forgets the boots. The ankle is a complicated joint and one wrong twist then you're out of the game for awhile!

Glad you wore your full face, it's cheaper than plastic surgery.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:11 am 
5000cc Scooter God

Scooter Model(s): some run, some in pieces, some r pieces
MrEvolution wrote:

MaxPuzzle wrote:

man, u r having bad luck on 2 wheeled vehicles. glad u r ok again.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:10 am 
25cc Weekend Buzzer

Scooter Model(s): et4
the over the shoulder check...
must be done very fast.

bam.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:17 am 
4000cc Scooter Titan

mike d wrote:
the over the shoulder check...
must be done very fast.

bam.

Mike D I love that drinking monkey avatar!

Nelson

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:43 am 
4000cc Scooter Titan

What I wish I knew when I bought my scooter...that my wife didn't like 'em I probably would traded her in before buying the scoot!

"Scoot and give ur problems the boot!

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 7:22 am 
Co-Founder & Administrator

Scooter Model(s): et4 and px150
Another thing I wish I knew earlier was how many scooter accidents (especially fatal ones) are cause by careless cars and SUVs making that sudden/illegal left turn.

You're driving on a two lane road, minding your own business, when a cager, without warning, swerves to turn or make a U-turn right in front of you or into you.

You see stories like this all the time!

Never get complacent. Don't assume they see you. Assume you're invisible.

Always try to anticipate these sort of stupid turns and be ready to use your horn or flash your lights preemptively if you see someone coming towards you, slowing down as if about to turn.

Unfortunately, this guy from San Diego didn't make it:
Quote:
Gregory Bowen was riding a Vespa scooter eastbound on Broadway around 7 p.m. Friday when the SUV made a left turn toward State Street and collided with him, Sgt. Richard Nemetz of the San Diego County Medical Examiner's Office said. Bowen died immediately, Nemetz said.

http://www.cbs8.com/stories/story.126909.html

:(

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 3:12 pm 
4000cc Scooter Titan

I wish I knew that I wasn't going to be satisfied with just one scooter!

Nelson

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 9:59 pm 
Co-Founder & Administrator

Scooter Model(s): et4 and px150
From a thread on ModernVespa.com

alohachris wrote:
50 Tips for Staying Alive on Your Scooter

1. Assume you’re invisible
Because to a lot of drivers, you are. Never make a move based on the assumption that another driver sees you, even if you’ve just made eye contact. Bikes don’t always register in the four-wheel mind.

2. Be considerate
The consequences of racing the jerk-du-jour or cutting him off start out bad and get worse. Pretend it was your grandma and think again.

3. Dress for the crash, not the pool or the pub
Sure, McDonald’s is a 5-minute trip, but nobody plans to eat pavement. Modern mesh gear means 100-degree heat is no excuse for a T-shirt and board shorts.

4. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst
Assume that car across the intersection will turn across your bow when the light goes green, with or without a turn signal.

5. Leave your ego at home
The only people who really care if you were faster on the freeway will be the officer and the judge.

6. Pay attention
Yes, there is a half-naked girl on the billboard. That shock does feel squishy. Meanwhile, you could be drifting toward Big Trouble. Focus.

7. Mirrors only show you part of the picture
Never change direction without turning your head to make sure the coast really is clear.

8. Be patient
Always take another second or three before you pull out to pass, ride away from a curb or into freeway traffic from an on-ramp. It's what you don't see that gets you. That extra look could save your butt.

9. Watch your closing speed
Passing cars at twice their speed or changing lanes to shoot past a row of stopped cars is just asking for trouble.

10. Beware the verge and the merge
A lot of nasty surprises end up on the sides of the road: empty McDonald’s bags, nails, TV antennas, ladders, you name it. Watch for potentially troublesome debris on both sides of the road.

11. Left-turning cars remain a leading killer of scooterists
Don’t assume someone will wait for you to dart through the intersection. They’re trying to beat the light, too.

12. Beware of cars running traffic lights
The first few seconds after a signal light changes are the most perilous. Look both ways before barging into an intersection.

13. Check your mirrors
Do it every time you change lanes, slow down or stop. Be ready to move if another vehicle is about to occupy the space you’d planned to use.

14. Mind the gap
Remember Driver’s Ed? One second’s worth of distance per 10 mph is the old rule of thumb. Better still; scan the next 12 seconds ahead for potential trouble.

15. Beware of boy racers
They’re quick and their drivers tend to be aggressive. Don’t assume you’ve beaten one away from a light or outpaced it in traffic and change lanes without looking. You could end up as a Nissan hood ornament.

16. Excessive entrance speed hurts
It’s the leading cause of single-bike accidents on twisty roads and racetracks. In Slow, Out Fast is the old adage, and it still works. Dialing up corner speed is safer than scrubbing it off.

17. Don’t trust that deer whistle
Ungulates and other feral beasts prowl at dawn and dusk, so heed those big yellow signs. If you’re riding in a target-rich environment, slow down and watch the shoulders.

18. Learn to use both brakes
The front does most of your stopping, but a little rear brake on corner entry can calm a nervous chassis.

19. Keep the front brake covered - always
Saving a single second of reaction time at 60 mph and you can stop 88 feet shorter. Think about that.

20. Look where you want to go
Use the miracle of target fixation to your advantage. The scooter goes where you look, so focus on the solution instead of the problem.

21. Keep your eyes moving
Traffic is always shifting, so keep scanning for potential trouble. Don’t lock your eyes on any one thing for too long unless you’re actually dealing with trouble.

22. Think before you act
Be careful whipping down the street going 50-mph in a 30-mph zone or you could end up with your head planted in the driver’s side door when he turns into the driveway right in front of you.

23. Raise your gaze
It’s too late to do anything about the 20 feet immediately in front of your fender, so scan the road far enough ahead to see trouble and change trajectory.

24. Get your mind right in the driveway
Most accidents happen during the first 15 minutes of a ride, below 40 mph, near an intersection or driveway. Yes, that could be your driveway.

25. Come to a full stop at that next stop sign
Put a foot down. Look again. Anything less forces a snap decision with no time to spot potential trouble.

26. Never dive into a gap in stalled traffic
Cars may have stopped for a reason, and you may not be able to see why until it’s too late to do anything about it.

27. Don’t saddle up more than you can handle
If you weigh 95 pounds and stand 5-foot-1 forget that 650cc Suzuki Bergman.

28. Watch for car doors opening in traffic
Hitting an open door is painful. Smacking a car that’s swerving around some goofball’s open door is just as painful.

29. Don’t get in an intersection rut
Watch for a two-way stop after a string of four-way intersections. If you expect cross-traffic to stop, there could be a painful surprise when it doesn’t.

30. Stay in your comfort zone when you’re with a group
Riding beyond your abilities is a good way to end up in the ditch. Any bunch worth riding with will have a rendezvous point where you’ll be able to link up again.

31. Give your eyes some time to adjust
A minute or two of low light heading from a well-lighted garage onto dark streets is a good thing. Otherwise, you’re essentially flying blind for the first mile or so.

32. Master the slow U-turn
Practice. Park your butt on the outside edge of the seat and lean the bike into the turn, using your body as a counterweight as you pivot around the rear wheel.

33. Who put a stop sign at the top of this hill?
Don’t panic. Use the rear brake to keep from rolling back down. Use Mr. Throttle smoothly to pull away.

34. If It Looks Slippery, Assume It Is
A patch of suspicious pavement could be just about anything. Butter Flavored Crisco? Gravel? Mobil 1? Or maybe it’s nothing. Better to slow down for nothing than go down on your head.

35. Bang! A blowout! Now what?
No sudden moves. The scooter isn’t happy, so be prepared to apply a little calming muscle to maintain course. Ease back the throttle, brake gingerly with the good wheel and pull over very smoothly to the shoulder. Utter Big sigh.

36. Drops On The Faceshield?
It’s raining. Lightly misted pavement can be slipperier than when It’s been rinsed by a downpour, and you never know how much grip there is. Apply maximum-level concentration, caution and smoothness.

37. Emotions In Check?
In the immortal words of the philosopher Ice Cube, chickity-check y’self before you wreck yo’self. Emotions are as powerful as any drug, so take inventory every time you saddle up. If you’re mad, sad, exhausted or anxious, stay put.

38. Wear good gear
Wear stuff that fits you and the weather. If you’re too hot or too cold or fighting with a jacket that binds across the shoulders, you’re dangerous. It’s that simple.

39. Leave the iPod at home
You won’t hear that cement truck in time with Tool cranked to 11, but they might like your headphones in intensive care.

40. Learn to swerve
Be able to do two tight turns in quick succession. Flick left around the bag of briquettes, then right back to your original trajectory. The bike will follow your eyes, so look at the way around, not the briquettes. Now practice till it’s a reflex.

41. Be smooth at low speeds
Take some angst out, especially of slow-speed maneuvers, with a bit of rear brake. It adds a welcome bit of stability by minimizing unwelcome weight transfer and potentially bothersome driveline lash.

42. Flashing is good for you
Turn signals get your attention by flashing, right? So, a few easy taps on the brake levers before stopping makes your brake light more eye-catching to trailing traffic.

43. Intersections are scary, so hedge your bets
Put another vehicle between your bike and the possibility of someone running the stop sign/red light on your right and you cut your chances of getting nailed in half.

44. Tune your peripheral vision
Pick a point near the center of that wall over there. Now scan as far as you can by moving your attention, not your gaze. The more you can see without turning your head, the sooner you can react to trouble.

45. All alone at a light that won’t turn green?
Put as much scooter as possible directly above the sensor wire - usually buried in the pavement beneath you and located by a round or square pattern behind the limit line. If the light still won’t change, try putting your center stand down, right on the wire. You should be on your way in seconds.

46. Every-thing is harder to see after dark
Adjust your headlights, Carry a clear faceshield and have your game on after dark, especially during commuter hours.

47. Don’t troll next to or right behind Mr. Peterbilt
If one of those 18 retreads blows up - which they do with some regularity - it de-treads, and that can be ugly. Unless you like dodging huge chunks of flying rubber, keep your distance.

48. Take the panic out of panic stops
Develop an intimate relationship with your front brake. Seek out some safe, open pavement. Starting slowly, find that fine line between maximum braking and a locked wheel, and then do it again, and again.

49. Make your tires right
None of this stuff matters unless your skins are right. Don’t take ‘em for granted. Make sure pressure is spot-on every time you ride. Check for cuts, nails and other junk they might have picked up, as well as general wear.

50. Practice your skills
Remember, riding requires specific skills. Skills are perishable; you use them or you loose them. The Road will never adapt to your lack of skill.

Aloha!

For the Scooter School information - http://www.msf-usa.org/scooterschool.cfm

For the riding tips booklet - http://msf-usa.org/downloads/Scooter_tips-screen.pdf

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 11:20 pm 
4000cc Scooter Titan

That's a great list. I learned a couple things from it which is cool as I embark on my journey to Scooters O with Mylesmyles tomorrow.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next