* Login   * Register * FAQ
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Please DO NOT POST NEW QUESTIONS in this section. The Moderators move threads containing frequently asked questions (that have already been answered) here. However, if you have useful information, feel free to add it to the appropriate existing thread.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:01 pm 
Co-Founder & Administrator

Scooter Model(s): et4 and px150
The latest:

jasterm wrote:
PASS! Wow. What a feeling. I rode by a cop this morning and actually waved.

So I can confirm that the tester told me if in the process of doing the circles and 8's and a car rolls by, you can stop and place your foot on the ground without penalty. You pick up from where you left off. One thing that was not clarified to me however, was that in the process of doing your circles and 8's, the maneuvers are to be done continuously. For some reason, I read some of the posts as; do three circles, pull over to the curb and stop. do another three circles, pull over to the curb and stop. Do your 8's. This however, is not the case. Not a big deal, but for clarification purposes, these maneuvers are to be done one after another w/out stopping.

While I was doing my 8's, a car actually turned onto the street. I saw it coming and just held motion w/out putting my foot down. (Didn't want to take any chances). The road test portion was fine. I was careful not to cut my left turns, so made my turns intentionally wider to make it a point. However, I got docked to the other way a few points for going too wide. I suppose you should be wary of both extremes and make your turns "just right".

Also, the MSS instructor that I hired to be my chase car for the exam mentioned that speeds should be kept around 20 mph for the test. I thought that was great information to know. At one point in the road test, I caught a yellow light that was so perfectly timed it made me hesitate. I made the nervous decision to abruptly stop, even though I had already crossed the white line and had to back peddle a bit. I figured it would be safer than accelerating across the intersection to "beat the light". When I asked the instructor about it after recieving my temp license, he said I did fine.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9150

Post subject: Re: Red Hook Road Test
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:31 pm 
Poster Child

Scooter Model(s): 2006 Vespa GT 200**
Cool--thanks for the inside info...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:59 am 
250cc Rally Go'er

Scooter Model(s): GTS
So how do you make a circle on the left side, and then magically do a circle to the left without stopping and putting your foot down? that seems to require some sort of 360 turn, or a hybrid 8-figure?

I don't understand the transition from circle, to circle, to 8-figure.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:15 pm 
500cc Distance Rider

Scooter Model(s): Midnight Blue Vespa LX 150, Midnight Blue Vespa GT 200
tkchunc wrote:
So how do you make a circle on the left side, and then magically do a circle to the left without stopping and putting your foot down? that seems to require some sort of 360 turn, or a hybrid 8-figure?

I don't understand the transition from circle, to circle, to 8-figure.

After completing your three left circles all you have to do is start a fourth but instead of turning left you turn right just like you would be doing a figure eight. After completing your right circle just to two more of them then proceed to the figure eights. If you are hesitant about the transition just practice it until you are comfortable.

2010 Scooter Cannonball Champion Auto 190 class
2012 Scooter Cannonball run 13th out of 50 bikes
2014 Scooter Cannonball run 6th out of 28 bikes

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:48 am 
Poster Child

Scooter Model(s): GTS 250
Hi,

I'm about to take my road test at Red Hook. From my understanding, they do it on Henry Street, between the pool and the baseball field. Can anyone tell me if you do the figure 8s in A or B of the following diagram. Thanks!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:59 am 
Organizer Emeritus

Scooter Model(s): 2004 et4; 1980 p200; 1963 li150+
You do it like "B."

Brendan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:49 pm 
Organizer Emeritus

Scooter Model(s): Vespa GTS 250
Make your figure 8s as large as possible. People tend to start out to small and make them tighter and tighter which could become a problem.

http://www.stanwagner.net

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:32 pm 
500cc Distance Rider

Scooter Model(s): Midnight Blue Vespa LX 150, Midnight Blue Vespa GT 200
Stan wrote:
Make your figure 8s as large as possible. People tend to start out to small and make them tighter and tighter which could become a problem.

+1

Use the whole width of the road that is given to you. There is no need to make them so tight that you risk putting your foot down.

2010 Scooter Cannonball Champion Auto 190 class
2012 Scooter Cannonball run 13th out of 50 bikes
2014 Scooter Cannonball run 6th out of 28 bikes

Post subject: DMV Road Test
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:22 pm 
Poster Child

Scooter Model(s): Piaggio Fly 150
Hi all,

I thought I'd share my wife's recent experience with her Road Test. She would have loved to taken the MSF Course like me, but unfortunately we couldn't find any place in the state of NY to offer it (ironically, her hometown of PA does offer MSF with scooters!). She has no desire to learn to drive a motorcycle.

She took her road test in the Bronx. I followed in a car behind her with the DMV person. She drove 1/2 mile to an empty parking lot (a right turn and a left turn to get there). Did 3 circles left, 3 circles right, 3 figure eights. Then drove the 1/2 mile back to where she started. PASSED!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:33 am 
Poster Child

Scooter Model(s): none yet
For anyone taking his/her road test at Redhook, be advise that there are two possible streets (correct me if there's more) where the test will initiate: Clinton St. (between Bay St. and Halleck St.) or Henry St. (between Lorraine St. and Bay St.).

Henry Street is smooth and level. Doing the circles and figure 8 is quite easy there (although you do have to look out for two way traffic).
On Clinton Street you perform the maneuvers on one side of the street, but the road is rugged and full of tiny potholes. Doing the same set of circles and figure 8 there can be quite tricky.