* Login   * Register * FAQ
It is currently Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Please DO NOT POST NEW QUESTIONS in this section. The Moderators move threads containing frequently asked questions (that have already been answered) here. However, if you have useful information, feel free to add it to the appropriate existing thread.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 10:29 am 
Anybody getting out over the last couple days? What are you doing to keep warm (and is it working?)?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 11:20 am 
750cc Scooter Warrior

I thought you were the one who taught us all the "tips" at the class? or are you just checking if we listened to you?

Josh

"Do these effectively hide my thunder?"- Dr. Tobias Fünke

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 11:25 am 
Co-Founder

SNAP!

I've been in CT where it snowed on Thanksgiving (about 3-4 inches) and only got back yesterday, so haven't been riding. Picked up my hardcore gloves though, so I'll be trying them out at some point today.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 11:51 am 
1000cc Scooter Legend

Scooter Model(s): Scootless Wanker
I use a thermal top and bottom. 2 fleeces, and an insulated leather jacket. I also use alpine star all weather gloves. In my helmet I put on a knitted hat. So far it’s working.

http://www.mmmsc.org

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 12:38 pm 
5000cc Scooter God

Scooter Model(s): 64Smallie, PX200&PX150, ItaliJetDragster50, BV500, HarleyXR1200, VespaLxVagina, Mo-PedMotobecane
I won't say, I won't. But I try not to ride when there's ice on the ground, sometimes I just can't help my self. If I ride when there's ice on the gound I like to take the highway (except when there's lots of wind), because I notice THEY salt the sh-t out of it.
As far as warmth goes all I can say is ELECTRIC...ELECTRIC...electric
Electric Grips, Electric Gloves, Electric Vest, Electric Chaps.
Right now I'm still getting away with a wool sweater & the spring jacket & my new toy, the Skirt, it's nice, it blows heat from the radiator under it all down there by my privite parts. When the weather get's real sh-ty that's when I pull out my First Gear insulated MC riding suit, It's a little bulky but between that & the Electric's I'm down right sweating.
All's I can say is spend the money on the right gear for the right job, I know it's an expensive investment, but the stuff is not just for one season, it seems to last almost forever & you can take the stuff with you to your next scoot.
Anyway stay warm, it's more fun to ride when your warm & proberly less hazardous.
Alan
OH that reminds me, time to order some of them HippoHands.

Usual Suspects Scooter Club
http://www.myspace.com/usualsuspectssc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 7:55 pm 
4000cc Scooter Titan

Scooter Model(s): Lambretta Jet 200, Honda CB350 Four
I rode all last winter. I used lots of layers. Thermal underwear are wonderful as are fleeces. Make sure that your jacket cuts the wind...that's primo importance. If you start to sweat, strip layers. A good scarf is very very important. Finally spend the $10-$20 on hiking socks, they're cool in the summer and warm in the winter.

-Franky

"I've upped my standards. Now, up yours." -Pat Paulson

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:12 pm 
1000cc Scooter Legend

Coming soon ( By the end of December, the latest )
Pirate Upholstery will be taking orders on heated gloves (no more frozen finger tips), pants, jackets, etc.... The way this works is using your current riding gear. They will be "electrified" with adjustable warmth settings. There will be hookup terminals to attach to your MC or MS's battery. Optional rechargable battery packs will also be available. Theres a belt mounted battery (not heavy or big at all) for full heated set ups, or arm/wrist packs for glove only set ups. Control box will have low battery warning light, on/off switch and light (so you know its on and working right away) and 1-9 different heat settings.
I already have a ton of people who want to place orders, but am refusing them untill my supplies are all stocked up and demo modles are finished. They will be on display at local shops along with a hole line of MS/MC accessories.
http://www.Pirateupholstery.com Info@pirateupholstery.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:16 pm 
500cc Distance Rider

Scooter Model(s): Lambretta Jet200, Vespa Sprint Veloce
Hey Franky! I was just about to say, the only one that has an excuse not be on the road is Franky.

Ok, anyway, I'm been riding. And all I can say is PARKA. I got a good old fashion "mod" parka from an army navy store near the Brooklyn Navy Yard. It's windproof, waterproof, and makes you look like Jimmy. The best part is it's only $69 and you can wear it over anything, they are huge! This also means they cover a good part of your legs so you don't need to wear a scooter skirt.
That's as much as I'm going to say about scooter skirts.
Parkas are awesome.
I hope to see everyone on Wednesday. Pittsy, your gloves will be there too!
Hans

Post subject: keeping warm
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 10:05 pm 
Poster Child

I ride year-round all day long ...

I use a lap apron thats lined with fleece....excellent for keeping your legs warm

Obviously a full face helmet with fleece neck gaitor

gortex shell (arcteryx fission sv) insulated....with patagonia expedition weight fleece...

my pants are arcteryx gamma mx pants ...or windproof/waterproof pants lined with fleece or insulated with primaloft

handlebar muffs .......with light gloves underneath...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 11:15 pm 
5000cc Scooter God

Scooter Model(s): 64Smallie, PX200&PX150, ItaliJetDragster50, BV500, HarleyXR1200, VespaLxVagina, Mo-PedMotobecane
Hans,
Please tell us what you think about skirts, Don't hold back, & be all nicey, nice. If you got something to say just say it!!!!
Alan

Usual Suspects Scooter Club
http://www.myspace.com/usualsuspectssc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 7:50 am 
Co-Founder

Scooter Model(s): The electric one that obese people get around on.
DrunknPirate,
You should make them go to 11.
I think 11 would be 2 better.

I'm looking forward to checking them out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:31 am 
2008 and 2009 BlockParty Slow Race Champion

Scooter Model(s): GT200
Hmmm…I've been experimenting with different layers and gloves.

Gloves-
I recently purchased some leather goretex glove from ems and the guy swore that would keep my hands warm…unfortunately they didn't. My hands get cold really easy especially when riding a scooter (compared to riding my Mt Bike…my hand will stay warmer longer…exercise). So I exchange them for some different ems brand gloves with primaloft lining. Hopefully these will work better, I've heard that you should have glove that are too tight as they will reduce blood flow to your finger and making them colder.

Pants-
Just got some windbreaker water proof pant from EMS that were about $47 (on sale from $79). These will be my outer layer and I will use 1-2 layers under them for the best results. So far so good with these. Will also use them 4 season around since I can pull them over jeans and stuff. Lastly they fold up into there own pocket, which is cool.

Jacket-
arcteryx javelin sv great jacket, waterproof. I only wish that the neck would fit a little better, it has a hood built which is great though. I usually use any were from 1 to 2 fleece layers under my shell. I would like to get a thicker fleece liner since it get kind of annoying to deal with so many layers when not riding for long periods.

Face-
Half helmet, so I have a face mask really great…it covers the neck and face and some times a fleece hat under the helmet.

Will also be getting a skirt soon. I been try to plug a few small hole here and there…but over all right now I would rate my winter gear as a 6.5-7, good…but not great.

X

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 1:52 pm 
Co-Founder & Administrator

Scooter Model(s): et4 and px150
H4N5 wrote:
Ok, anyway, I'm been riding. And all I can say is PARKA. I got a good old fashion "mod" parka from an army navy store near the Brooklyn Navy Yard. It's windproof, waterproof, and makes you look like Jimmy.

I'm in! What's the address...?

P.S. Don't knock our Scooter Skirts... :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 2:06 pm 
500cc Distance Rider

Scooter Model(s): Lambretta Jet200, Vespa Sprint Veloce
Ok ok...
To answer your question...I respect the scooter skirt. Is it nerdy? Yes, it's very nerdy. Is scootering nerdy. Yes it is. We are nerds. So why do I not dig the scooter skirt? Well, it's expensive. That's my $0.02. And I'm the poorest dirtbag in the scene. So take that for it's worth.
PS- don't wear white after labor day. that's for you Allison.
-Hans

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 3:28 pm 
So how about ordering some stuff from motorcycle gear companies??

If anyone should know how to keep warm on two wheels, it is they.

http://www.newenough.com is GREAT for deals on things like Oxtar winter boots, $169 (Pittsy) and Tour Master Coldtex winter gloves. $27(!) (Xman), not to mention ARMORED jackets for winter, like Joe Rocket, Hein Gericke, Ikon, etc.

Dress for the fall, not for the ride. Ask anyone who's been there.

Rode this weekend for an hour at 36 degrees or less. Not all that hard if you know how!

-JG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 8:10 pm 
750cc Scooter Warrior

Scooter Model(s): 2006 Vespa GT
Silk, wool, polypropylene, down, leather, Goretex - it takes time (and mistakes) to figure out what works and what doesn't. Compiling a chart of what you wore, what the conditions were, and whether it worked or not is so nerdy, so anal, that it can't even be mentioned (but it works).

Cotton doesn't work in the winter. It's soft and comfy and cool in the summer, but it doesn't wick perspiration and it doesn't dry so eventually you'll end up cold and clammy.

If your feet get sweaty inside your boots - they're gonna get cold. If you have trouble getting your bike started and get all sweaty kicking it over 20 or 30 times - that cotton turtleneck's gonna soak up the sweat like a sponge and turn you into an ice cube.

This is obviously more of a problem for major sweat sports like cycling and skiing, but unless you're one of those lucky few who never sweat, cotton has no place in your riding wardrobe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 8:35 pm 

They are quite expensive, FR4N5, fair enough.

That's why (sorry Joe) I picked up some leather Totes low boots for $29 and Gore-Tex/Thinsulate gloves for $15.95 from Burlington Coat Factory this weekend to make up for it.

And I'm still waiting for the address of the Army/Navy store for my $69 parka, dudeage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 9:57 pm 
It just occured to me that not everyone on this forum will know who Jay the Drunken Pirate is...

Jay has been around the scooter scene for a few years now and is one of the nicest guys you'll meet.

Jay... I remember seeing you down at Vespa Soho when you were delivering a seat, but have you been out to one of the Wednesday night rides?

Jay lives on Staten Island, is a tattoo artist, and does awesome custom work on seats and such.

Two things of note: First, I feel confident in saying you shouldn't be put off by the Skull Fucker scooter club. They (or he) are (is) harmless, for the most part.

Second, Jay is a very intelligent guy. He writes oddly at times because he chooses to. I enjoy reading his posts largely for watching the way he twists nonsensical words into real words, but moreso for the fact that you don't always have to play by the rules to be understood.

I'm all for the electric gear, btw Jay. looking forward to seeing some working models.

-JG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:51 pm 
Co-Founder

Scooter Model(s): '05 Stella
What Hans says about white is true in my home country – The Deep South. Hans would fit in well down there. Can't you see it with his great shoes!

I haven't actually read this thread until now because I've been in Alabama where it was 68 degrees over the entire Thanksgiving holiday and I didn't need to read about keeping warm. Also, not a soul was wearing white because, as it has been said, it's after Labor Day.

As far as nerds and scooter skirts, I'm hoping mine will keep me warm and reinforce my femininity, something I've been missing as of late with the armored jacket, boots and super gloves. I need to return to my girly side. Bring on the skirt!

~Allison W.

Last edited by aawatters on Mon Nov 28, 2005 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:48 am 

Me too, Allison! :P

Which raises an interesting metaphysical question...

Do Scottish scooterists wear anything under their scooter skirts?

:shock:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next