* Login   * Register * FAQ
It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Please DO NOT POST NEW QUESTIONS in this section. The Moderators move threads containing frequently asked questions (that have already been answered) here. However, if you have useful information, feel free to add it to the appropriate existing thread.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:10 pm 
4000cc Scooter Titan

Scooter Model(s): 2006 LX190 DRAGON RED SCOOTER
I've been hearing plenty of stories of riders receiving tickets for improper eyewear, i wear safety goggles and haven't been pulled over. if someone could tell me the guidelines for which law enforcement can give tickets. i would appreciate the comments that you may have. 8) 8) 8) scoot on dude

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:30 pm 
2000cc Scooter Royalty

Scooter Model(s): 64 Allstate 125 75 Rally 200 84 PK125 Automatica 62 125 64 Cento 79 P200 3 smallframe 85 T5 69 Ape D
I saw this somewhere else here Carlos, but don't remember when/where. I do remember that safety glasses were one way to go though. They can be bought in clear and tinted, so you have a pair for riding only.

I imagine that it's another safety thing, along with helmets, so that a flipped up rock or bug or bird doesn't smack your eye or smash your fancy sunglasses.

Mario

"Ever pick your feet in Poughkeepsie?"

Another Usual Suspect...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:48 pm 
Co-Founder & Administrator

Scooter Model(s): et4 and px150
The FAQ:
Quote:
EYE PROTECTION:

NYS Law says that approved eye protection must be worn at all time when riding a motorcycle (all two-wheeled powered vehicles over 50ccs). The visor on your helmet is considered eye protection.

http://www.nyscooterclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=51

The NY Law:
Quote:
All motorcycle operators must wear approved eye protection even if the motorcycle is equipped with a windshield. Any windshield must also be of an approved type. Prescription or made-to-order safety glasses may be used if the user can present written certification that they meet DMV standards. The eye protection must be manufactured in conformity with the regulations issued by the Vehicle Equipment Safety Commission ( VESC-8 ). However, the DMV recommends approved goggles or a face-shield for full protection.

http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/mcmanual/mclicenses.htm

The NY Regs:
Quote:
Section 54.11 Eye protection.
(a) A motorcyclist may use any eye protection device that has been manufactured in conformity the Regulation VESC-8.
A motorcyclist may not operate a motorcycle unless he is wearing such eye protection.
(b) Regulation VESC-8 refers to the eighth regulation of the Vehicle Equipment Safety Commission. Such regulation may
be obtained by writing to Vehicle Equipment Safety Commission, Suite 802, 4660 Kenmore Avenue, Alexandria, VA

http://www.nassauwings.org/PDF/New_York ... cycles.pdf

VESC-8 can be found here:
http://www.vesc.org/vescregs.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:01 pm 
1000cc Scooter Legend

Scooter Model(s): Lambretta DL200, Lambretta Ser2 TV, Vespa GTS
Brouhaha wrote:
Quote:
EYE PROTECTION:

NYS Law says that approved eye protection must be worn at all time when riding a motorcycle (all two-wheeled powered vehicles over 50ccs). The visor on your helmet is considered eye protection.

http://www.nyscooterclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=51

Quote:
All motorcycle operators must wear approved eye protection even if the motorcycle is equipped with a windshield. Any windshield must also be of an approved type. Prescription or made-to-order safety glasses may be used if the user can present written certification that they meet DMV standards. The eye protection must be manufactured in conformity with the regulations issued by the Vehicle Equipment Safety Commission ( VESC-8 ). However, the DMV recommends approved goggles or a face-shield for full protection.

http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/mcmanual/mclicenses.htm

Quote:
Section 54.11 Eye protection.
(a) A motorcyclistmay use any eye protection device that has been manufactured in conformity the Regulation VESC-8.
A motorcyclistmay not operate a motorcycle unless he is wearing such eye protection.
(b) Regulation VESC-8 refers to the eighth regulation of the Vehicle Equipment Safety Commission. Such regulation may
be obtained by writing to Vehicle Equipment Safety Commission, Suite 802, 4660 Kenmore Avenue, Alexandria, VA

VESC-8 can be found here:
http://www.vesc.org/vescregs.html

The visor on your helmet only counts as safety eyewear if it came with the DOT helmet, or if aftermarket, is marked ANSI Z87.1

Sunglasses that are stamped Z87.1 count as safety eyewear too.

If your helmet visor is open a crack and you're moving, technically your eyes are unprotected if you have no Z87.1 glasses underneath, and cops have been known to stick to the letter of the law and write a ticket for it. However, as DOT open face visored helmets a similar level of protection as a full face open a crack, I am sure that some one that wanted to spend the time and money could use this to challenge a ticket written for a full face visor open a crack. That some one, however, won't be me ;)

Andrea

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:08 pm 
1000cc Scooter Legend

Scooter Model(s): Lambretta DL200, Lambretta Ser2 TV, Vespa GTS
Forgot one thing - who can write tickets.

This all depends on where you are, as different types of officers have different types of jurisdiction in different areas.

Andrea

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:28 pm 
50cc Lane Splitter

I have an inherent dislike of laws passed to protect people from their own stupidity. But... catch a june bug just below your Foster Grants and they will call you Blinky.

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:51 pm 
4000cc Scooter Titan

thanx andrea

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:34 pm 
Co-Founder & Administrator

Scooter Model(s): et4 and px150
You're welcome, CB. :| :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:25 pm 
4000cc Scooter Titan

also thanx to jonathan :)

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:54 pm 
Poster Child

Scooter Model(s): see sig
Andrea wrote:

Sunglasses that are stamped Z87.1 count as safety eyewear too.

Andrea

Hi Andrea, Do you have anything about this I can print out? I know the law says VESC-8 and most tell me Z87.1 counts, but I haven't been able to find anything written. Maybe I can just print out the VESC-8 stuff and "edit" it. I doubt the judge will waste his time looking it up.

'95 Concours, low farkle (SOLD)
'00 Shadow ACE Tourer (for sale)
'03 Shadow Sabre (SOLD)
'90 Honda Hawk GT NT650 (for sale)

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:17 pm 
250cc Rally Go'er

Scooter Model(s): A Honda VFR isn't really a scooter but don't hate me!
HaChayalBoded wrote:
Hi Andrea, Do you have anything about this I can print out? I know the law says VESC-8 and most tell me Z87.1 counts, but I haven't been able to find anything written. Maybe I can just print out the VESC-8 stuff and "edit" it. I doubt the judge will waste his time looking it up.

This FAQ needs a little attention so here's a BUMP.

In late 2009 the DMV changed the law (er, I think it's a regulation, actually) to refer to ANSI Z87.1-2003 or later. VESC-8 was a very outdated standard and VESC hadn't even existed for years. It was highly problematic to walk into an eyewear professional and ask for VESC-8 eyewear and get a :? look.

At the same time NY also got rid of that idiotic requirement to have four square inches of reflective material on your helmets. But beware, the Peoples Republik of NJ still requires it.

For those who wish to go spelunking into the law, it's not in the VTL. The VTL just says that helmets and eyewear are to be whatever the commish wants. The commish spells out the actual requirements in Title 15 of the New York Codes Rules & Regulations. Don't be a victim of that old saw about how the DOT never made a list of approved whatever. It's utter bull.

The only thing that worries me these days is that the VTL uses the word "goggles" but the NYCRR indicates any ANSI Z87.1 compliant eyewear is acceptable. I asked the NYSP's Lt. Halvorsen - who in case the name doesn't ring a bell, is the corksoaker who is largely responsible for the motorcycle checkpoints not only in NY but in other states now too - and he said goggles are not required, any ANSI Z87 is fine. YMMV, IANAL, etc.

Speaking of Halvorsen and checkpoints, the NYSP was handing out a Powerpoint presentation not long ago which was meant to serve as a guide on motorcycle equipment enforcement in the field. That guide stated that Z87 markings would be found on temples AND on lenses. This is not correct. ANSI Z87-2008 does specify markings on lenses but Z87-2003 is the minimum requirement and it does NOT specify that lenses be marked.

Oh, and remember, NO EYEWEAR will EVER have legitimate "DOT" markings. It's "Z87" or it's not. Any cop looking for "DOT" is an imbecile or a fraud and needs to be reported to the Civilian Complaint Review Board (NYC) or Internal Affairs (NYS) forthwith.