* Login   * Register * FAQ
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Forum rules


Please DO NOT POST NEW QUESTIONS in this section. The Moderators move threads containing frequently asked questions (that have already been answered) here. However, if you have useful information, feel free to add it to the appropriate existing thread.



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Muni-Meter tickets
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:42 pm 
Offline
4000cc Scooter Titan
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:06 pm
Posts: 4565
Location: Brooklyn Heights-Carroll Gardens corridor...
Scooter Model(s): 07 GTS
hamiamham wrote:
one can buy accessories that allow you to securely display a muni-meter receipt on your scoot. im not sure if I can post the link here? i have no relationship with the vendor.


Post the link if you have it...

_________________
-signed- Chris

Porn-Hair wrote:
Remember......Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas to think straight.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Muni-Meter tickets
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:34 pm 
Offline
50cc Lane Splitter

Joined: Mon May 24, 2010 9:22 pm
Posts: 67
Scooter Model(s): none yet
http://loginparking.com/holders.html


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Muni-Meter tickets
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:10 pm 
Offline
50cc Lane Splitter

Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:41 pm
Posts: 107
Location: Brooklyn
Scooter Model(s): Black one !!!
i received few always plead not guilty and always got them dissmised ,,,,,,,,,motorcycles and scooters are excused from paying muni meters....but have to pay regular meters !!!!!!!!!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Muni-Meter tickets
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:29 pm 
Offline
1000cc Scooter Legend
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:55 am
Posts: 1842
Location: Manhattan
Scooter Model(s): Vespa GTS 250ie
YogiBabu wrote:
i received few always plead not guilty and always got them dissmised ,,,,,,,,,motorcycles and scooters are excused from paying muni meters....but have to pay regular meters !!!!!!!!!


What did you state with pleading not guilty.

_________________
Ken
Black GTS250ie
photo imaging
http://www.metaphotography.com


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Muni-Meter tickets
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:52 pm 
Offline
250cc Rally Go'er
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:46 pm
Posts: 380
Location: Brooklyn
Scooter Model(s): '09 Genuine Blackjack, '05 Red Stella Fireball
YogiBabu wrote:
i received few always plead not guilty and always got them dissmised ,,,,,,,,,motorcycles and scooters are excused from paying muni meters....but have to pay regular meters !!!!!!!!!

ummm . . . not true

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dot/html/motorist/meterpark.shtml
Quote:
Motorcycles

Like other motorists, motorcyclists using Pay and Display Muni-Meters, must display their receipt on their vehicle.
To prevent theft or damage to the receipt, DOT recommends using clear plastic holders attached to the motorcycle with a lock or other mechanism. Devices made especially for this purpose can be found in specialty stores.

Image

_________________
Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.
-Leonard Cohen

ImageImage


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Muni-Meter tickets
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:30 am 
Offline
50cc Lane Splitter

Joined: Mon May 24, 2010 9:22 pm
Posts: 67
Scooter Model(s): none yet
seems unreasonable to me to expect someone to go out and buy a device or carry a roll of tape for the privilege of paying the city 50cents every 15 mins to take up 1/10 the space a car would. obv best case would to not have to pay at all but a discounted rate would seem reasonable and, if we need to pay full freight, the abilty to park parallel to the curb and take up as much space as you want and, in doing so, protect your investment.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Muni-Meter tickets
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:31 am 
Offline
Organizer Emeritus
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:04 am
Posts: 5384
Location: Midwood Brooklyn, NY
Scooter Model(s): Vespa GTS 250
etak wrote:
Like other motorists, motorcyclists using Pay and Display Muni-Meters, must display their receipt on their vehicle.[/color] To prevent theft or damage to the receipt, DOT recommends using clear plastic holders attached to the motorcycle with a lock or other mechanism. Devices made especially for this purpose can be found in specialty stores.[/i]
Image

If they recommend using these holders, then they should provide them. Cars don't need anything extra to comply.

_________________
– Stan

http://www.stanwagner.net


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Muni-Meter tickets
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:50 am 
Offline
4000cc Scooter Titan
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:06 pm
Posts: 4565
Location: Brooklyn Heights-Carroll Gardens corridor...
Scooter Model(s): 07 GTS
Stan wrote:
etak wrote:
Like other motorists, motorcyclists using Pay and Display Muni-Meters, must display their receipt on their vehicle.[/color] To prevent theft or damage to the receipt, DOT recommends using clear plastic holders attached to the motorcycle with a lock or other mechanism. Devices made especially for this purpose can be found in specialty stores.[/i]
Image

If they recommend using these holders, then they should provide them. Cars don't need anything extra to comply.


They'll never provide them. It's difficult to make a straight comparison to cars. Yes, "cars don't need anything extra to comply" but as a 2 wheeled rider you already buy things extra that "cars don't need". A helmet comes to mind. If the law requires a helmet do you expect the State to buy you one? If the law expects you to pay the meter why would you expect the CIty to provide the holder?

I see it as a non-issue. $20 for a tag holder to prevent a ticket and park legally isn't that big a deal to me. If the $20 holder prevents tickets and a possible tow in an era of ticket and tow blitz (to comply with the law like using a helmet) I don't see the problem.

_________________
-signed- Chris

Porn-Hair wrote:
Remember......Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas to think straight.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Muni-Meter tickets
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:28 am 
Offline
Organizer Emeritus
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:04 am
Posts: 5384
Location: Midwood Brooklyn, NY
Scooter Model(s): Vespa GTS 250
sallad wrote:
Stan wrote:
etak wrote:
Like other motorists, motorcyclists using Pay and Display Muni-Meters, must display their receipt on their vehicle.[/color] To prevent theft or damage to the receipt, DOT recommends using clear plastic holders attached to the motorcycle with a lock or other mechanism. Devices made especially for this purpose can be found in specialty stores.[/i]
Image

If they recommend using these holders, then they should provide them. Cars don't need anything extra to comply.


They'll never provide them. It's difficult to make a straight comparison to cars. Yes, "cars don't need anything extra to comply" but as a 2 wheeled rider you already buy things extra that "cars don't need". A helmet comes to mind. If the law requires a helmet do you expect the State to buy you one? If the law expects you to pay the meter why would you expect the CIty to provide the holder?

I see it as a non-issue. $20 for a tag holder to prevent a ticket and park legally isn't that big a deal to me. If the $20 holder prevents tickets and a possible tow in an era of ticket and tow blitz (to comply with the law like using a helmet) I don't see the problem.

I guess that 60's anti-establishment hippie is still somewhere inside of me.

_________________
– Stan

http://www.stanwagner.net


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Muni-Meter tickets
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:55 am 
Offline
50cc Lane Splitter

Joined: Mon May 24, 2010 9:22 pm
Posts: 67
Scooter Model(s): none yet
we are so hopelessly behind the times; in london you drive into a spot, text the spot number to the parking people, and they automatically charge your account. how do you feel about paying the same rate as a vehicle that takes up 10X the space?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Muni-Meter tickets
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:01 pm 
Offline
25cc Weekend Buzzer

Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 11:30 pm
Posts: 31
Scooter Model(s): 150 cc
hamiamham wrote:
we are so hopelessly behind the times; in london you drive into a spot, text the spot number to the parking people, and they automatically charge your account. how do you feel about paying the same rate as a vehicle that takes up 10X the space?

Yeah this city does seem behind.
Heck, only recently have they started putting displays in subway stations telling you how much
time till the next train comes...
I mean with all the millions of people taking the subway every day you would think they could
have made more of en effort...

In order to add parking features to nyc they would probably need to update all those hand held
computers those meter maids have, and as you know there are a lot of meter maids...
Besides i think they enjoy making parking a pain in the ass for people, because that way
people need to take there monopolized subway and bus system.
( the city makes it illegal to run other forms of cheap transportation that will compete with
there buses )
Or better yet, people will not pay the meter and then the city will make even more $$$ with fines.

Quote:
how do you feel about paying the same rate as a vehicle that takes up 10X the space?

I think the way most people feel is that they just remove there license plate and don't think about these things ;)
If you walk around the city you can see scooters everywhere with no plates on,
this is the old tech way to fix the city's laziness in solving the scooter parking problems;)
You don't see people removing there plates in london do you? :lol:


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Muni-Meter tickets
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:50 am 
Offline
250cc Rally Go'er
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:20 pm
Posts: 495
Location: Brooklyn
Scooter Model(s): Vespa S150
Ken_photo wrote:
Why can't you plead not guilty by mail. Just check that box and include a statement of why you are not guilty and a copy of the MUNI receipt. I did that for a parking ticket (parking in crosswalk) and had the ticket dismissed without a personal appearance.



I did plead not guilty by mail and attached my original muni meter receipt.
I fear that if I write a letter that the clerk in charge of processing my paperwork will throw it out before it gets to the judge.

_________________
"Well-behaved women seldom make history." Laurel Thatcher Ulrich


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:33 pm 
Offline
50cc Lane Splitter

Joined: Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:40 pm
Posts: 67
Scooter Model(s): Red Kymco Like 200i
Do we still stand any chance?

_________________
-Lew


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:25 pm 
Offline
500cc Distance Rider
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:57 pm
Posts: 680
Location: Brooklyn, N.Y.
Scooter Model(s): 09 GTS Midnite blue
Never have a problem with muni-meters. There is no place to put the receipt. Don't worry about them. So far no tickets.
Andy


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:01 am 
Offline
150cc Daily Rider
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:48 pm
Posts: 174
Location: Sunnyside, Queens
Scooter Model(s): Aprilia Mana 850
Depends where I am. If in Queens, I just park without problem. I had an one of these meter maids ask me "why do that?" when she saw me buy a receipt on Steinway St. Since then I've noticed they don't even look at my scooter, just pass it by as if it's not there. In Manhattan on the other hand, I always put the quarters in and take the receipt with me. If I get a ticket I have proof I can send in.

_________________
Corina

WOMEN'S CENTER KARATE CLUB NYC
MY PHOTOS


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:15 am 
Offline
250cc Rally Go'er
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 17, 2010 9:11 am
Posts: 280
Location: Bensonhurst
Scooter Model(s): Er-6F, (shopping for scooter)
Never had a problem in the city or in brooklyn. Parking on the sidewalk in the city... that's a different story.

_________________
my heralding adventure motorcycle blog


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:39 pm 
Offline
Organizer Emeritus
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:04 am
Posts: 5384
Location: Midwood Brooklyn, NY
Scooter Model(s): Vespa GTS 250
Never paid. Never had a problem. If I think it's iffy, I cover my scooter. They're not looking under the cover.
And, I've done the same in Manhattan at commercial only muni-meter parking where I've always covered it. Perhaps I've just been lucky.

_________________
– Stan

http://www.stanwagner.net


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:20 pm 
Offline
50cc Lane Splitter
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:59 pm
Posts: 107
Scooter Model(s): SYM HD200
I had a string of good luck for a while, but in Nov of last year managed to pile up $400 worth of tickets for muni meters and such. I even appealed one stating that I had no place to put a receipt, so . . . duh. The "judge" shut me down and didn't reduce a damn thing . . .

This city sometimes, grrrr.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:31 pm 
Offline
25cc Weekend Buzzer
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:16 am
Posts: 40
Location: NY/NJ
Scooter Model(s): Honda, Yamaha, Aprilia, Vespa
Honestly teemo, I think you're real lucky. As most of you may already know. Scooter and motorcycle parking in mid-town Manhattan is very stressful. Either you park on the sidewalk, take your plate, and risk having it towed (unless you chained it to an immovable object) OR you park in between two cars, pay the meter, and the scoot gets knocked over damaging mirrors, handle bars, or the fairings. Some meter maids say don't worry about the meters, some say you have to pay and you are a perfect target to completing their quota.

You might want to check out the DIY for making receipt holders:
http://www.nyscooterclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=15698

_________________
http://www.njrentascooter.com
http://www.scootersnyc.com
http://www.roadtestscooter.com
(908)803-2929
Scooter rentals in NJ and NY for road test or for cruising the city!
50 - 250cc Scooters - Yamaha, Honda, Aprilia, and Vespa
President
Edwin DeVia


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:34 pm 
Offline
50cc Lane Splitter

Joined: Mon May 24, 2010 9:22 pm
Posts: 67
Scooter Model(s): none yet
loginparking dot com to hold the receipts... there are others as well / no affiliation


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum


Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group