* Login   * Register * FAQ
It is currently Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Please DO NOT POST NEW QUESTIONS in this section. The Moderators move threads containing frequently asked questions (that have already been answered) here. However, if you have useful information, feel free to add it to the appropriate existing thread.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:13 pm 
Organizer Emeritus

Scooter Model(s): Vespa GTS 250
njrentascooter wrote:
Honestly teemo, I think you're real lucky. As most of you may already know. Scooter and motorcycle parking in mid-town Manhattan is very stressful. Either you park on the sidewalk, take your plate, and risk having it towed (unless you chained it to an immovable object) OR you park in between two cars, pay the meter, and the scoot gets knocked over damaging mirrors, handle bars, or the fairings. Some meter maids say don't worry about the meters, some say you have to pay and you are a perfect target to completing their quota.

You might want to check out the DIY for making receipt holders:
http://www.nyscooterclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=15698

Sorry but, I'm not paying for any piece of equipment to hold the DOT's muni-meter receipt. Nor will I waste my time to make one. They have to provide a way for us to comply with the law and a way to display the receipt. Until then, I'll continue not to pay at muni-meters.

http://www.stanwagner.net

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:41 am 
25cc Weekend Buzzer

Scooter Model(s): Honda, Yamaha, Aprilia, Vespa
You can sit around, do nothing about it, and wait forever. The budget just won't allow any changes to be made, and the law is what it is. Everyone has to pay for the space, and that's fine. I don't see why the meters don't offer reduced parking for vehicles that help reduce congestion and pollution. And I honestly don't see why there isn't designated space in one of the most populated cities in the nation. I've tried and tried to contact the hierarchy of the law about this problem, but get nothing but the run around, transferred here, transferred there...voicemail.

hamiamham wrote:
loginparking dot com to hold the receipts... there are others as well / no affiliation

$20 and up plus $6 shipping is a bit steep IMO. I'm well aware of those out there, but just figured people may want a cheaper alternative that's just as effective.

As of right now scooter laws are in limbo. There is confusion among cops (excluding motorcycle cops), meter maids, and even judges when presented with the "where do i place my receipt?" case. In major cities like Chicago and Philadelphia they've put in to practice designated two wheeled parking where instead of one car you can fit at least 4 bikes. Last year we had close to $2000 in tickets and every single one was for parking. At around $65 for "no receipt displayed" upwards to $120 for "parking on sidewalk" it is very frustrating for both a rental company, its customers, and even more so for residents.

(908)803-2929
Scooter rentals in NJ and NY for road test or for cruising the city!
50 - 250cc Scooters - Yamaha, Honda, Aprilia, and Vespa
President
Edwin DeVia

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:06 am 
750cc Scooter Warrior

Scooter Model(s): Was a Red Thing now it's a Grey/Blue thing.
I put my cover on and have never had a problem, the meter maids don't like to touch a tightly wrapped scoot.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:03 pm 
Organizer Emeritus

I attended a city council meeting on the motorcycle muni-meter issue. Conclusion was that DOT has to come up with a way for 2 wheeled vehicles to comply. Until then, no tickets should be written. Whether or not ticket agents are informed of this is another story. I've never had a problem parking at any muni-meter spot.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:28 pm 
750cc Scooter Warrior

Scooter Model(s): Was a Red Thing now it's a Grey/Blue thing.
Stan wrote:
I attended a city council meeting on the motorcycle muni-meter issue. Conclusion was that DOT has to come up with a way for 2 wheeled vehicles to comply. Until then, no tickets should be written. Whether or not ticket agents are informed of this is another story. I've never had a problem parking at any muni-meter spot.

Thanks for the heads up.

Post subject: Muni Meters
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:54 am 
Poster Child

In poking around the DOT web site this morning, I found this little gem. Perhaps some of you know of this already, but until now I thought that the issue of scooter/motorcycle parking at muni meters was unsettled; i.e. more or less at the discretion of the enforcement officers. It may still be, but here it clearly says two-wheelers need to pay. I find it outrageous that motorcylists are expected to buy something. I intend to complain to my council-person (if I can figure out who that is). I could not find any indicaton as to when this web page was last updated.

http://home2.nyc.gov/html/dot/html/moto ... park.shtml

"Motorcycles

Like other motorists, motorcyclists using Pay and Display Muni-Meters, must display their receipt on their vehicle. To prevent theft or damage to the receipt, DOT recommends using clear plastic holders attached to the motorcycle with a lock or other mechanism. Devices made especially for this purpose can be found in specialty stores."

The reason I was looking at the DOT page was to try and learn more about the traffic light sequencing on Lexington avenue, more less in the 60's and 70's. It seems that at about 8:00, the lights go from sequential to simultaneous (a la park avenue) and it's a right pain when there is very little traffic.

Ken

Post subject: Re: Muni Meters
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:25 am 
1000cc Scooter Legend

Scooter Model(s): 1966 Bajaj 150
http://forum.nymstf.org/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=180

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:50 am 
2000cc Scooter Royalty

Scooter Model(s): 07 GTS, 07 Stella
zeno wrote:
http://forum.nymstf.org/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=180

The board requires you to be registered and logged in to view this forum.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:20 am 
Poster Child

Zeno, "Crazy" is right - needs registration. I've registered but have to wait for approval. Any chance you or someone with access can summarize please?

Ken

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:03 pm 
Poster Child

My account on the NYMSTF was activated, and Zeno's link is for a posting by Cheryl Stewart of the New York Motorcycle and Scooter Task Force to the Director of Parking Engineering of the NYC DOT requesting the suspension of collection of parking fees from scooters and motorcycles parked in all Muni-Meter zones.

That was back in April, and there is no indication that any response was received.

Ken

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:56 pm 
50cc Lane Splitter

Scooter Model(s): 1985 PX150E, 2009 S150
I usually just fork out the $3 or whatever--doesn't seem worth worrying. But what bugs me is: 1) anyone could steal the receipt, and 2) more than 1/2 the machines I try to use a card at don't work and I never have coins. What's this "buy a clear plastic holder" crap? Have you EVER seen one for sale? Lockable? What the F000k?
And, if they are going to charge, they should maintain their stupid machines so your credit card is read!
This whole issue speaks to the fact that this city has almost no designated 2-wheeled public parking. Ridiculous!!! Scooters and motorcycles take up 1/4 or less of the space a car takes up and they want us to pay the same as a car?
Lee

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:47 pm 
Poster Child

I also normally just pay and take the receipt with me in case I have to prove payment to challenge the ticket. I have never received a ticket, but, well, you know....past performance in no guarantee...

Ken

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:18 am 
Poster Child

Scooter Model(s): vespa
UGH help .... got a tkt on east 55th bet park and lex saturday for not displaying a muni meter receipt! i was parked legally not imposing on any vehicle spots. with license plate on. where do they expect us to display a muni receipt on a VESPA? help.. anyone ever fight this before? is it worth fighting - its a 65$ tkt. i can't believe this - never ever got a tkt for that before! midtown is IMPOSSIBLE!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:22 am 
50cc Lane Splitter

Scooter Model(s): Vespa LXV 150
My plan, is one night, to paint stripes at the first parallel spot at the intersection by my house, as blocks for motorcycles. Do it in secret, and watch all of the motorcycles and scooters on my block start using them. If we do this all over the city, drivers will be confused, people will have a place to park their two wheeled vehicles orderly, and if painted on both sides of the street, we'll deal with alternate side parking... win-win for all? Perhaps doesn't deal with the muni meter though... I always just pay the couple of dollars, fold it in half, and tuck it into my plate. If you're paying, why remove the plate? Nobody's looking at the plate except for the ticket giver, and I've never had it stolen or blown away. Peace of mind.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:23 am 
Poster Child

Scooter Model(s): vespa
whats the best way to fight a "no muni meter receipt displayed" - where would they expect us to display it?? ugh... got a tkt saturday in midtown - HELP! can i fight it??

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:58 pm 
1000cc Scooter Legend

Scooter Model(s): SYM HD 200
Look around the forum. There are many threads on this. Some riders pay the meter and keep the receipt in case they get a ticket.

It is a tough call, because there is no place to display the receipt, HOWEVER you are not legally entitled to park for free. (No flames please, just stating the law).

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:37 pm 
1000cc Scooter Legend

Scooter Model(s): 1966 Bajaj 150
FYI, I am fighting a current muni-meter ticket via mail by quoting the exact law, which states you must place your ticket in the windshield.

Quote:
4-08(h)(10): "Muni-Meters." (ii) No person shall, in any parking space controlled by a "Muni-Meter," park a vehicle without displaying a payment receipt in the windshield, where such requirement is indicated by posted signs.

By letter of the law, even if you taped your ticket to your mirror stem, it is not following the law. Any vehicle without a windshield will fail this.

I'll report back on how it goes.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:53 pm 
1000cc Scooter Legend

Scooter Model(s): smoking & non-smoking
This one is easy to get dismissed provided you paid for and kept the muni-meter receipt. I've done it before.

Just mail a copy of the muni meter receipt with the ticket when you contest. First response you will receive in the mail will be to accept a fine reduction or continue to contest the ticket. Just follow the instructions in the letter to continue the contest and a few weeks later you should receive a dismissal letter.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:56 pm 
1000cc Scooter Legend

Scooter Model(s): SYM HD 200
I don't think she fed the meter.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:56 pm 
Organizer Emeritus

Here we go again.
At the council meeting I attended on this matter, then councilman Liu stated "No tickets for motorcycles at muni meters until DOT comes up with a way for us to comply with properly displaying a muni meter receipt". That was a couple of years ago. But, I still don't pay.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next