* Login   * Register * FAQ
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Please DO NOT POST NEW QUESTIONS in this section. The Moderators move threads containing frequently asked questions (that have already been answered) here. However, if you have useful information, feel free to add it to the appropriate existing thread.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:50 pm 
Forum Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:03 pm
Posts: 126
Location: New York City
Scooter Model(s): Yes
The answer in New York is PROBABLY YES.

Here is the breakdown:

    If the scooter is capable of going over 30 mph, you need a motorcycle license (or an 'M' endorsement on your driver's license). Your bike is classified either as a motorcycle (40+ mph) or a Class A limited use motorcycle (between 30 and 40 mph). Most scooters fit into this category.

    If the scooter does not go over 30 mph, you only need a regular driver's license to drive it (although you're limited to driving in the right-hand lane or shoulder). Your bike is classified either as a Class B limited use motorcycle (between 20 and 30 mph) or a Class C limited use motorcycle. Most true mopeds fit into this category, and some smaller scooters have engines that are 'restricted' to fit into this category.

You will note that the DMV certifies a limited use motorcycle as Class A, Class B or Class C according to top speed and NOT (as many incorrectly believe) based upon engine displacement (e.g. 50cc and below). The manufacturer requests the certification through the DMV Technical Services Bureau. Only a DMV-certified model of limited-use motorcycle can get a registration in NYS. The phone number for the Technical Services Bureau is (518) 474-5282.

Note that Go-Ped motorized scooters, mini-bikes, dirt bikes, go carts and motor-assisted bicycles can not be registered in NYS and are not allowed on any street, highway, parking lot, sidewalk or other area that allows public motor vehicle traffic.

Source: http://www.dmv.ny.gov/recreation.htm#mopeds

P.S. The rules for NJ are different. See: http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/Vehicle/Mopeds.htm

Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum


Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group