* Login   * Register * FAQ
It is currently Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Please DO NOT POST NEW QUESTIONS in this section. The Moderators move threads containing frequently asked questions (that have already been answered) here. However, if you have useful information, feel free to add it to the appropriate existing thread.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 2:25 pm 
WINTERIZING your Vespa. I am a new owner and I want to every precaution I can. If anyone has a few tips for me they would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 3:19 pm 
Riding through the winter on a new Vespa probably won't require much of anything. The new Vespas are very robust, and they come with good rubber, so there's not much to be done except ride.

Make sure you have your services done at the proper intervals, and watch your tires in really cold weather for a dip in pressures, which is normal. a couple of pounds is no big deal. On super cold days, your battery might not be quite up to the challenge, but if your bike is less than one year old, this shouldn't be a problem.

Speaking of which, what kind of bike do you have?

If you're storing for the winter, you might want to take up Vespa Queens on their offer to store NYSC members' bikes for $50 a month. It's a very good deal.

Other than that, ride on and stay warm. The stay warm part is the toughie.

-Joe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 7:59 pm 
1000cc Scooter Legend

Wax, you definitely should wax your scooter. That way, when you get salt all over it from the city trucks, It wont harm the paint

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 8:41 am 
Co-Founder

Scooter Model(s): Modified, Customized and Sanitized black VESPA ET4
I store my ET4 outside on my back patio. I've been told to keep a low level of gas in the tank (about 1/4 full). I cover it using my standard Vespa cover as well as an old tyvek cover formerly used for my car. I keep the tires elevated from the pavement and have them resting on rubber mats.

I should mention that I parked my scoot in the same place last year and followed the same prep. I usually start it up every other week or so throughout the winter. I start it and let it idle for about 10 minutes. Thankfully I didn't experience any problems. She started up each time and rode like a dream when it came time to take her on the road.

Anything else I might need to do?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:51 am 
1000cc Scooter Legend

What is the reason for keeping your tank only 1/4 full?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:57 am 
Co-Founder

Hi Pirate- not sure, I was told to leave it at 1/4 full from somebody in the scooter world last winter. Is that okay? Should I have more gas in it?
Any other tips for outside storage?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:10 am 
Fill it to the top and if you're not going to run it for an extended period (a month or more), add Stabil or some other dry-gas to the tank.

There's a minor catch... you need to know how much petrol is in the tank to add stabil (for mixing proportions), so if your tank is full, you should be able to read the manual and find out... 3.5 gallons or whatever.

Stabil is cheap (a couple bucks at R&S Strauss at 14th & ave C), and for that amount of gas, you really will be only adding a thimble full or so, but follow the directions to keep water out of your gas tank. Don't add 'extra' just in case.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:24 am 
1000cc Scooter Legend

Whelp, If the tank is not full, there is room for condensation to build up. That will leave water in your tank. Thats why you see all those old scooter tanks with rust in them. I would keep it filled to the top and leave as little air space as possible. Stabil is definitely a huge help. You can just smell the freshness of your gas in the spring. Thats if you like to smell your gas. :mrgreen: Oh, yeah. I just remembered, After you add the stabil, you should run the bike for a few min so the fuel gets into the carb and rest of the fuel system. That will keep the carb gunk free and save you the trouble of a carb rebuild in the spring. Its not a bad thing to use stabil all year long. It keeps the gas fresh and the octane stabile

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:24 am 
750cc Scooter Warrior

if you are storing it indoors (vespa queens or elsewhere) should you still have a full tank of gas? seems like a hazard.

josh

"Do these effectively hide my thunder?"- Dr. Tobias Fünke

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 2:14 pm 
1000cc Scooter Legend

Depends on if the "indoors storage" is heated. If it is, the theres no big temperature change to creat condensation so it doesnt matter how much gas you have in the tank. If its NOT heated, then its the same as keeping it outside, except for the protection from rain, snow, dog piss, etc,,,, I would still use the stabil for indoor storage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 2:15 pm 
1000cc Scooter Legend

I just noticed that you have a VBB, that means metal tank. I would keep it full no matter what. That way the oil in the gas, along with the stabil, will keep your tank from rusting

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:10 pm 
Co-Founder

Thanks for the tips guys.

Unfortunately, I went out for a long ride today and burned off some gas (I'm at less than half a tank) and didn't get on the forum until just now... AFTER I already took about an hour getting my scoot down the front stairs through the hallway, through my living room and out onto my patio and covered her up. DAMN it! Will my tank be okay if I don't bother to fill it up? Or should I go to the gas station and fill up my emergency plastic tank and then fill up the scoot (too much work getting it back out to the street)?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:24 pm 
Really the biggest issue is the proportions. You can guess at how much gas you have in your tank, but as I say, it's best to brim it and then figure out the proportions from what your owner's manual says.

Honestly, if you're riding at all, this generally isn't a concern.

The biggest problems with gasoline & storage come from long term stuff, like snow mobiles over summer or lawn mowers over winter, where the storage period is for months, not weeks. If it's just a few weeks between rides, you really shouldn't have any problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 6:07 pm 
1000cc Scooter Legend

It says in my owners manual, that a scooter should never sit and not be ridden for longer then two weeks :wink:
Scooters have feelings to

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:55 pm 
Co-Founder

My scoot will definitely stay parked for several months (now until likely March). I'll start it up every two weeks and let it idle for 10 minutes or so. Will this rid me from the condensation/rust potential? Should I top off the tank and fill her up?

Help!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:51 pm 
1000cc Scooter Legend

starting it up and letting it run helps keep things Lubed so parts wont seize. This is very important to 2 stroke (owners)and the top ends but 4 strokes dont use oil above the piston, so its not that big a deal.

Air, is what makes condensation, so starting the scooter and letting it run only empties your tank letting more air into it. If your tank is plastic, then I wouldnt worry that much about it. Just pour some stabil in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:14 am 
5000cc Scooter God

Scooter Model(s): 64Smallie, PX200&PX150, ItaliJetDragster50, BV500, HarleyXR1200, VespaLxVagina, Mo-PedMotobecane
Here's another one, I don't know if it true with scooter, but with a car your shouldn't let it sit to long in one spot, because it causes flat spots on the tires, in the spring you'll be ridin' a with a bumpity bump bump.
Alan

Usual Suspects Scooter Club
http://www.myspace.com/usualsuspectssc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 10:56 am 
Co-Founder

Thanks for the heads up Pirate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:40 am 
1000cc Scooter Legend

Iv never had a problem with my scooters tires. I know what you mean with car tires. It probably doesnt happen with scooters because they weigh a lot less

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 1:41 pm 
5000cc Scooter God

Scooter Model(s): 64Smallie, PX200&PX150, ItaliJetDragster50, BV500, HarleyXR1200, VespaLxVagina, Mo-PedMotobecane
Your proberly right about the tires, I was just seing if anybody was paying attentson.
Alan

OK- how 'bout draining the float bowl on the Carberator :?:

Usual Suspects Scooter Club
http://www.myspace.com/usualsuspectssc