* Login   * Register * FAQ
It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Please DO NOT POST NEW QUESTIONS in this section. The Moderators move threads containing frequently asked questions (that have already been answered) here. However, if you have useful information, feel free to add it to the appropriate existing thread.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:02 pm 
2008 and 2009 BlockParty Slow Race Champion

Scooter Model(s): GT200
The cool part is now I will have to rely on cops know if my 2005 made (2006) model was made without a vin plate outside. I park legit when I can especially near problem zones. Fun times, fun times.

x

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:56 pm 
Organizer Emeritus

Scooter Model(s): Vespa GTS 250
If you cover your bike and leave the plate uncovered, the cops still have to remove the cover (on many bikes) to find out the manufacturer and model to write a proper ticket. I don't see cops getting involved with doing that but, I could be wrong.
My scooter: 4th day on the (commercial vehicles only) street with a cover (covering plate). Going in the parking garage on the 15th (mainly to reduce stress over where I park).

http://www.stanwagner.net

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:24 pm 
5000cc Scooter God

Scooter Model(s): some run, some in pieces, some r pieces
Hendon wrote:
Feel free to do whatever you want to do, Fernando , but if someone is concerned that covering their bike could get them in trouble because it amounts to "covering" the otherwise exposed VIN, the most sensible way to reduce that concern is to leave the plate exposed, so the police are not looking for the VIN in the first place. It is pretty clear that the VIN issue has arisen, not out of a concern that scooters were stolen, but out of a desire to punish people who pull their plates, so, although there is some risk of the scenario you describe, I don't see that as a major problem.

Brendan

They should ber doing both things, give people tix for parking, removing plates, messing with the vin and also try to recover stolen scooters. It should not be that if its legally parked with a plate and registration up to date, that a stolen scooter can hide under a cover.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:13 pm 
50cc Lane Splitter

Scooter Model(s): Vespa LXV 150
Hendon wrote:
It certainly sounds like the NYPD is growing less tolerant of efforts to avoid tickets by playing games with license plates and VINs. If they have actually established a unit to visit shops and track down bike owners, as well as tow bikes, my advice would be to avoid sidewalk parking and platepulling, and obviously not to obscure or alter the VIN. The police are obviously taking it seriously.

Brendan

Image Image Image

Noticed this the other day, I think that is 59th Street, between Lexington and 3rd. Look at her, scouring that scoot for a vin.

They're going nuts on scooters recently. I got a ticket the other day for having my visor up. $90. Not fun to ride anymore, worry about tickets for everything. Also got two tickets for parking - one for parking on the sidewalk, another for not having a license plate. Now, I park and cover it, but I still fear that isn't enough. We really do need to get together for a demonstration.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:18 am 
1000cc Scooter Legend

Scooter Model(s): SYM HD 200
Barberry17 wrote:
Hendon wrote:
It certainly sounds like the NYPD is growing less tolerant of efforts to avoid tickets by playing games with license plates and VINs. If they have actually established a unit to visit shops and track down bike owners, as well as tow bikes, my advice would be to avoid sidewalk parking and platepulling, and obviously not to obscure or alter the VIN. The police are obviously taking it seriously.

Brendan

Image Image Image

Noticed this the other day, I think that is 59th Street, between Lexington and 3rd. Look at her, scouring that scoot for a vin.

They're going nuts on scooters recently. I got a ticket the other day for having my visor up. $90. Not fun to ride anymore, worry about tickets for everything. Also got two tickets for parking - one for parking on the sidewalk, another for not having a license plate. Now, I park and cover it, but I still fear that isn't enough. We really do need to get together for a demonstration.

I see three scoots (MOTOR VEHICLES) with no plates parked on a public street. And you complain of getting a ticket for no plates.
If that was my detail, I might very well overlook the "illegal" parking, but I would ticket and tow for no plates. What are you smoking that makes you think it is OK to park a motor vehicle on a public street with no license plates, to say nothing of a removed VIN? Are you kidding? What is next, murder is OK as long as you don't use a gun?

They are cracking down because of the arrogance of people who will commit a felony to avoid a simple parking ticket.

Now don't think I don't feel your pain - parking is an issue for everyone and we should do something to get City Hall to be more accomodating to two wheelers. But removing the license plates and VINs is NOT the answer. You wil get no sympathy from anyone when you blatently break the law. We need to find ways to achieve our goals within the law.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:30 am 
4000cc Scooter Titan

Scooter Model(s): Vespa 1966 Sears Blue Badge 150,1963 TV 175 SIII with Casa 186,2007 GTV 250, 1979 P200 with 210 kit.
As much as I feel that I am part of this club I have to say that plate removal is something that can't be accepted. If I saw a car parked on my street with no plates...I'd call the cops and have that car towed stat. I know this sounds out there but I've seen bikes ridden without plates that tell me they are probably stolen. The only way to bag the bike is to identify it any way you can by plate or vin.

That being said I also understand people trying to survive on the street any way they can but it seems that now the procedure that worked is now on the law enforcement radar and they're kicking ass for it so it's time to put pressure on the legislature. We vote so let's put this parking issue ON THE RADAR!

If you open up a can of worms...expect people to go fishing!!!

The brother did not have good intentions!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:22 pm 
Organizer Emeritus

I'm a convert. I no longer park on the sidewalk and pull my plate. I do park in commercial only spots with my scooter covered. I think it's the lesser of two evils.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:33 pm 
1000cc Scooter Legend

Scooter Model(s): SYM HD 200
Stan wrote:
I'm a convert. I no longer park on the sidewalk and pull my plate. I do park in commercial only spots with my scooter covered. I think it's the lesser of two evils.

That at least leaves it to the discretion of the Officer whether to ticket or not. I don't see any discretion when someone pulls the plate.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:52 am 
Organizer Emeritus

Barberry17 wrote:
Hendon wrote:

Brendan

Image Image Image

So, did any of those scooters get a ticket?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:49 am 
2000cc Scooter Royalty

Scooter Model(s): 2009 Aprilia Scarabeo 200
Three new Vepas parked illegaly with pulled plates in the middle of the day in the middle of Manhattan! Hello? How dumb do these owners think cops are? That cop is just doing her job. If she wasn't ticketing and or towing she wouldn't be doingg her job -- the owners are doing everything to send a message that the bikes are either a) stolen, or b) they're owners whol are very arrogant and /or not very bright.

I'm stil laughing at this subject heading. Oh yes -- I need a WARNING to not remove my VIN! Thanks for saving me from prison!!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:09 pm 
Poster Child

Scooter Model(s): Yamaha zuma
I got a phone call today from the private parking lot I park in asking me to come move my moped 'because we have a big truck coming in'. I threw on a jacket and ran across the street to the lot, put the key in, and was surrounded by 5 officers. 'Is this your moped?' Yes. 'Well, the VIN number is missing" I say, well, its on here somewhere b/c you guys always manage to find it when youre giving me a parking ticket. 'Not good enough, thats the private VIN, youre missing the public one" So..even tho my motorcycle licence, registration and insurance all said the moped was mine, I was HANDCUFFED, thrown in a police car to the 10th precinct, and put in jail. Mugshots, fingerprints, and charged w/ a felony for 'altering a VIN'. When I expressed shock at this, they said, 'Dont you read the Post? We're cracking down on this.' So..if youre VIN isnt displayed on the outside, you could land in jail.
So.... watch out. This was in a PRIVATE parking lot, not even on a public street.
Anyone know a good lawyer?

Last edited by pinball29 on Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:13 pm 
3000cc Scooter Demigod

Scooter Model(s): 2008 Genuine Stella ::::::2004 Honda Helix ::::::1976 Vespa 150 Super project 1977 Vespa Ciao
Editted to take out the original question I was asking you. Hendon makes a EXCELLENT point. Don't say anymore.

What were they talking about, the public one??

Private lots?? That's scary.

Ball-n-Chain SC
Absolute Scooter Club Long Island
http://www.absolutescooterclub.com
FB
http://www.facebook.com/AbsoluteScooterClub

Last edited by Don Leonardo on Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:25 pm 
Organizer Emeritus

Scooter Model(s): 2004 et4; 1980 p200; 1963 li150+
You should definitely be getting a lawyer. The charge of altering a VIN is a felony, so it is clearly a serious charge that must be taken seriously. You don't say whether or not you have already appeared in court before a judge, or if you were given a Desk Appearance Ticket to apear at a later date. An attorney will be available in court to represent you, but if you are appearing at a later date, you should get in touch with an attorney in advance.

Don't post anything else about this incident here, though, since it could potentially be used as evidence against you. As for the absence of the Miranda warning, that only means that none of your statements made after you are in custody may be introduced as evidence. That might not make much of a difference in your case. Good luck.

Brendan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:31 pm 
2000cc Scooter Royalty

Scooter Model(s): 07 GTS, 07 Stella
pinball29 wrote:
I got a phone call today from the private parking lot I park in asking me to come move my moped 'because we have a big truck coming in'. I threw on a jacket and ran across the street to the lot, put the key in, and was surrounded by 5 officers. 'Is this your moped?' Yes. 'Well, the VIN number is missing" I say, well, its on here somewhere b/c you guys always manage to find it when youre giving me a parking ticket. 'Not good enough, thats the private VIN, youre missing the public one" So..even tho my motorcycle licence, registration and insurance all said the moped was mine, I was HANDCUFFED, thrown in a police car to the 10th precinct, and put in jail. Mugshots, fingerprints, and charged w/ a felony for 'altering a VIN'. When I expressed shock at this, they said, 'Dont you read the Post? We're cracking down on this.'
So.... watch out. This was in a PRIVATE parking lot, not even on a public street.
Should I be getting a lawyer. BTW, no miranda read once.

Ya get a lawyer. Someone posted here with their experience. Fairly certain they were offered a plea bargain, which was not a felony.

Don't you read this forum? It's been posted about for several months now, I'm just too lazy to search right now. Who reads the Post?

Def sucks, but I'm surprised you didn't spend your entire Sat in the company of NY's finest.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:34 pm 
2000cc Scooter Royalty

OK, here is one from the FAQ. http://www.nyscooterclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12240

What kind of moped do you have?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:55 pm 
3000cc Scooter Demigod

Scooter Model(s): 2008 Genuine Stella ::::::2004 Honda Helix ::::::1976 Vespa 150 Super project 1977 Vespa Ciao
Does anyone know what that means Public vs. Private Vin??

Is it the one I can read just above the glove box on the inside of the leg shield that is public vs the one under the cowl which I'm wondering is private??

Ball-n-Chain SC
Absolute Scooter Club Long Island
http://www.absolutescooterclub.com
FB
http://www.facebook.com/AbsoluteScooterClub

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:13 pm 
2000cc Scooter Royalty

Don Leonardo wrote:

Is it the one I can read just above the glove box on the inside of the leg shield that is public vs the one under the cowl which I'm wondering is private??

Yes. IIRC Prior to 2006 scooters were not required to have public or external VINs.

http://www.nyscooterclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12479&start=49

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:09 am 
1000cc Scooter Legend

Scooter Model(s): smoking & non-smoking
Don Leonardo wrote:

Public VIN = the one you can read just above the glove box on the inside of the leg shield, i.e. basically the one they don't have to start removing body panels or going into the engine bay to look for.

What I need clarification on...

1) is NYPD only performing these VIN searches on scooters that have their plates pulled? Or are they checking ALL scooters, plates or no plates attached?

2) are they only checking PARKED scooters, or can one get pulled over and be checked?

3) what about older scooters like Lambrettas that don't have a public VIN? Would you have to apply for a replacement VIN as Kevin mentioned in the following post?
http://www.nyscooterclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=135861#p135861

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:20 pm 
250cc Rally Go'er

Scooter Model(s): current ride, ahh, the choices!
Any of you who have scratches on your VIN or it is obscured, beware. I have a customer who was arrested this week because the VIN was scratched up. I do not know the final disposition of this yet but VIN tampering is a felony. In this case the person in question bought the scooter used and the VIN was already scratched. Although this may be a viable defense, you STILL get arrested and yes, the handcuffs were used!

I have had scooters come through my shop where people had used black felt tipped pens to obscure the VIN. This is just as bad so please, don't mess with the VIN plate, ever!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:25 pm 
4000cc Scooter Titan

Scooter Model(s): Vespa 1966 Sears Blue Badge 150,1963 TV 175 SIII with Casa 186,2007 GTV 250, 1979 P200 with 210 kit.
Thanks for the warning!!!

If you open up a can of worms...expect people to go fishing!!!

The brother did not have good intentions!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next