* Login   * Register * FAQ
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Please DO NOT POST NEW QUESTIONS in this section. The Moderators move threads containing frequently asked questions (that have already been answered) here. However, if you have useful information, feel free to add it to the appropriate existing thread.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:34 am 
Co-Founder & Administrator

Scooter Model(s): et4 and px150
If your plate is lost or stolen, you will need to obtain a replacement plate from DMV with new numbers on it (you can't keep your old plate number).

First step - Go to the Police and report the missing plate. But before you go you have to figure out what your story is on why your plate is gone; was it stolen, or did it fall off? Still have to report it, but it will determine whether they report a petit larceny or put out a report for lost property. Also, if it was stolen, you should not have to pay the replacement fee.. They'll ask you a bunch of questions, and give you a FORM MV-78B which you will need to get a new plate from the DMV.

You won't be able to use the form until up to 12 hours later when they have assigned your case number that validates the form. Call back and get it.

Second step - Call your insurance company and tell them you need a fax of an insurance card. Very Important: the DMV is a pain in the ass over the date on your insurance card in comparison to the actual date you go to the DMV for a new plate. Basically, if the date typed on your insurance card is more than 45 days from the date you go to the DMV, you'll need to get an updated insurance card. Call your insurance company ask them to Fax (or email a pdf) a copy of your insurance card reflecting todays date printed on the card. Make sure the "card" they send you has the "DMV Required Bar Code." Very important. The DMV will not take just any old fax as proof. It must resemble a proof of insurance card complete with a barcode included.

Moving on...

Third step - Go to the DMV. Early. Get there a 1/2 hr before they open - to avoid getting stuck in line.

What you'll need... Your drivers license, Vespa registration, completed police report FORM MV-78B (see above), and a copy of your insurance card (see above). You'll also need to complete FORM MV-82 which you may want to download and complete in advance.
http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/forms.htm#mv82

When you are at the DMV with all your info, you'll need cash, a personal check, or a credit card to pay the required fee if the items were not lost in a crime. The fee to replace one vehicle plate is $10.50.

For more information visit this URL or call 311.
http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/register.htm#replace

Last edited by Brouhaha on Thu May 17, 2007 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: trouble is on the way
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 1:12 pm 
4000cc Scooter Titan

Scooter Model(s): 2006 LX190 DRAGON RED SCOOTER
contact the dept of motor vechicles immediately

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:01 pm 
2000cc Scooter Royalty

Scooter Model(s): yes, please.
Brouhaha wrote:
Second step - Call your insurance company and tell them you need a fax of an insurance card. Very Important: the DMV is a pain in the ass over the date on your insurance card in comparison to the actual date you go to the DMV for a new plate. Basically, if the date typed on your insurance card is more than 45 days from the date you go to the DMV, you'll need to get an updated insurance card. Call your insurance company ask them to Fax (or email a pdf) a copy of your insurance card reflecting todays date printed on the card. Make sure the "card" they send you has the "DMV Required Bar Code." Very important. The DMV will not take just any old fax as proof. It must resemble a proof of insurance card complete with a barcode included.

I just wanted to double highlight this detail. I learned the hard way that even though your proof of insurance card says you are insured until some date in the future, there is some fine print on the insurance card that says "not valid for vehicle registration if 45 days after issuance date" or something like that. If you forget, you can always do what I did and go to Staples or other place closeby that has a fax machine and have the insurance company send you a new card on the spot. take that back to DMV, and hopefully you were given a Haed of the line ticket number so you don't have to wait in the line again.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 9:44 pm 
50cc Lane Splitter

Scooter Model(s): Yamati Strada, Piaggio MP3 400, Hyosung GT650S, Kawasaki Versys (on loan)
hope this is still true cuz it just happened to me :|

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 12:03 am 
25cc Weekend Buzzer

Scooter Model(s): '07 LX 150
KenBerger wrote:
hope this is still true cuz it just happened to me :|

It is true - I just went through it.
+1 on insurance card hassle. Learned it hard way - didn't see this thread and brought in my regular card - they didn't take it. Had to call insurance on the spot and had them fax it directly to DMV fax. Waited another 40 mins because they put me at the end of the line again. Then DMV figured that their fax machine glitched - no fax accepted. Called again insurance to fax it again. Wait again from scratch. Don't want to do it again.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 4:51 pm 
50cc Lane Splitter

Scooter Model(s): Yamati Strada, Piaggio MP3 400, Hyosung GT650S, Kawasaki Versys (on loan)
Just back from DMV and all taken care of. I can vouch that if you follow ALL that was said here in this thread EXACTLY step-for-step, the process is not all that bad.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 3:52 pm 
50cc Lane Splitter

went to jazzfest - came back and no plate on my bike. :x i guess it was 'stolen' as it could only have been removed by hand(or i guess foot - if enough velcro breaking force were applied.) quick questions before i go through the above thankfully easy to follow steps:

1. on form FORM MV-82 box1 - what should i select? "replace lost registration items"?

2. do i need to now get a new registration document because my plate has changed? or does this automatically get updated in the system or whatever?

3. is there anyway to do this process without having to go to the police station? they creep me out.

4. can i go to license express on 34th or do i need to go to the herald sq office.

thanks!

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 4:40 pm 
50cc Lane Splitter

dankwonka wrote:
went to jazzfest - came back and no plate on my bike. :x i guess it was 'stolen' as it could only have been removed by hand(or i guess foot - if enough velcro breaking force were applied.) quick questions before i go through the above thankfully easy to follow steps:

1. on form FORM MV-82 box1 - what should i select? "replace lost registration items"?

2. do i need to now get a new registration document because my plate has changed? or does this automatically get updated in the system or whatever?

3. is there anyway to do this process without having to go to the police station? they creep me out.

4. can i go to license express on 34th or do i need to go to the herald sq office.

thanks!

You do gotta go to a police station. And it definitely creeped me out! And the people were pretty rude and barking for me to "have a seat", etc... But it's necessary.

Make SURE that you tell them over and over that it was STOLEN and that it is a MOTORCYCLE (dont even say scooter assuming you have a MOT type registration) that has only 1 plate and that plate was STOLEN (I really did have to repeat this stuff many times). Then, on the little dmv form they give you, make sure they check off the box that says 'stolen' rather than 'lost' so you avoid paying any fee.

As to form 82, i think it was something like 'replace items', just make sure they know it was stolen, they should know that there is then no fee.

License Xpress will NOT work! You'd have to go to any other one, Herald Square is what I used (after incorrectly going to the other).

They will reissue your reg, give a new sticker and a new plate w/ new number.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:01 pm 
250cc Rally Go'er

Scooter Model(s): GTS
How do you know the correct police station to go to? I am trying to get to one that encompasses 50th st and 7th ave near times square.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:42 pm 
50cc Lane Splitter

try this precinct locator

http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/html/precinct_maps/precinct_maps.shtml

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:24 pm 
2000cc Scooter Royalty

Scooter Model(s): 07 GTS, 07 Stella
Brouhaha wrote:

You won't be able to use the form until up to 12 hours later when they have assigned your case number that validates the form. Call back and get it.

That depends on your charm and negotiation skills...

I left the precinct at 3:45 to haul ass (on my plateless m/c) to DMV by 4. When I left, the police had not put out an alert on the plate, a necessary step to assign a #. The lady I dealt with gave me her # and let me call her from the DMV 30 minutes later and she gave me the #!

She also told me that I could drive without the plate for a short time (think she said a day) so long as I carried the form. I didn't get stopped, so I can neither confirm nor deny the accuracy.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:30 pm 
Poster Child

Scooter Model(s): ET4
I actually managed to replace my plate by mail by following these instructions (visit to police precinct still required).

http://www.dmv.ny.gov/regreplace.htm