* Login   * Register * FAQ
It is currently Fri May 26, 2017 12:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Please DO NOT POST NEW QUESTIONS in this section. The Moderators move threads containing frequently asked questions (that have already been answered) here. However, if you have useful information, feel free to add it to the appropriate existing thread.

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 11:40 am 
Co-Founder & Administrator

Scooter Model(s): et4 and px150
joesmallframe wrote:
Dont go for the cheap ones,$50 helmet=$50 head,spend as much as you can,the more the better...

Actually, that's a matter of debate. In some independent tests, the cheap (read: flexible plastic shell) helmets tested better than the expensive (read: hard plexiglass) helmets.

As for full face, yes. Latest proof:

Mauro wrote:
Full face helmet....it does save lives. M chin hurts, but I did not loose any skin there. And my brain is in place.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=14014

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:15 am 
50cc Lane Splitter

Scooter Model(s): Aprilia Mana 850
Back to the chart up top:

As you'll note, 35% of hits were to the jawbone, left and right. So "skid lids" beloved by Harley riders should definitely be avoided by the safety-conscious. But also to be avoided are those "half-open" helmets often marketed to scooterists -- the ones where the hard shell only descends to mid-ear before being joined by leather or fabric tapering to the strap. Not good!

By the way, you can also get the breezy effect enjoyed with open-face helmets by cracking open the visor of your full-face helmet while you ride. Same sense of open-road freedom, but with mercifully less road noise.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:01 pm 
250cc Rally Go'er

Scooter Model(s): Vespa S150
Here's my rule of thumb, if you like your face and you DON'T have a plastic surgery fund then buy a full face helmet.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:05 pm 
Poster Child

Scooter Model(s): Kymco Like 200i
The best helmet is the usually the one you are wearing when you go down. I have four and the wife has two. The sales tax on either of hers would pay for the most expensive of mine. Yes, her head is worth a lot more than mine. So, pay your money and take your choice.

I have seen helmets save lives and take lives. Don't pontificate about your choice. Just pray that it helps when you need it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:50 pm 
Forum Administrator

Scooter Model(s): Yes
Good summary

Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About Motorcycle Helmets

http://lanesplitter.jalopnik.com/everyt ... 1733731498

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:40 am 
250cc Rally Go'er

Scooter Model(s): Piaggio MP3 400
That article has a lot of good information, but the author clearly has some unsupported biases:

"Determine if the store you’re in has a sign out front reading [store name], [store name], [etc.]. If not, then that store exists for the sole purpose of screwing you."
Has he closely investigated every retail store in the country?

"Flip-down sun visors ... also impair a helmet’s safety in a crash"
No data provided to back up that assertion. Also strange is his prejudice against sunglasses, which makes no distinction between drug store shades and ones that meet the Z87 standard.

"Buckles can be ratchets, seatbelts or D-Rings. The first two might sound more convenient, but in the real world they’re a hassle. D-rings adjust perfectly and quickly every time without any fuss."
This one is just a matter of opinion, I guess, but he presents his as if it were backed by hard data. I have a helmet with a ratcheting strap and another with D rings. In my experience, D rings blow and the ratchet rules.

Still, lots of good info as I said, so thanks for the link.