* Login   * Register * FAQ
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Scooter from Vietnam
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 9:56 am 
Hi
I'm thinking of purchasing a scooter from Vietnam. From Allvespa. It seems as a serious and good company. Does anyone have any experience with buying restored scooters from Vietnam?
Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:48 am 
Scoots from Vietnam get a horrible rap in certain circles, especially from real old-skool scooterists who've been around to see the bodge jobs that have been passed off on e-bay over the last five years.

HOWEVER. In my experience, scoots done by SCOOTRS (another similar company that does Vietnamese restorations and importing) are generally top quality restos. They're not cheap, and in my experience nearly all vintage scoots have one issue or another, and this will include Vietnamese restos, so I wouldn't expect a 100% perfect machine, no matter where it comes from.

I don't know anyone who has an Allvespa scoot, but judging by the web site it looks like a reputable crew. You might just ask for a referal to an area owner and ask him/her if they're satisfied.

Another question only you an answer is the money you'll pay for an imported resto is better spent buying a Stella or a local used vintage scoot from a local seller.

Finally, if you like the idea of an Allvespa scoot, I'd say go for it. It's your money, so have fun getting whatever you get.

And when you get it, come one down to the NYSC Wednesday night rides!

Best,

Joe Grant

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 12:53 pm 
1000cc Scooter Legend

ehh, I was gonna reply and basicly say everything Joe said, but lacked the energy. My advice, is you get what you pay for when it comes to restored Vespas. ScootRs has a good rep. and I think they even have an office in CA. Just remeber after you send them money and they send you the scooter, your gonna be stuck with it, I doubt they offer any garentees, so ask alotta questions about the scooter first. 2 main things to be weary about are, 1- body rot, anything can be COVERED up with bondo, but bondo over certain areas will crack over time. 2- internal motor work. George at Bella Classica used to tell me horror stories about what they found inside motors from Nam scooters. Yeah the scooters looked good, but what good is a nice looking scooter if the motor is shot in a month, and chunks of bondo are falling off your floor board..
If you do end up buying this scooter and are happy with it, Please post your experiance. Nam scooters do have a bad rap, but im sure there are some more shops over there that do good work, but people here are to turned off by them from all the stories

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 1:11 pm 
750cc Scooter Warrior

i have a scooter from vietnam, i have a scootrs bike. if you do purchase a vespa from nam, i would recomend them. i also would recomend spending the extra money and getting a new engine put in the bike. from everyone i have talked to this can make a big difference, i have a new engine and it has never been a problem.

there website is http://www.scootrs.com

anymore questions: jdkanuck@hotmail.com

"Do these effectively hide my thunder?"- Dr. Tobias F√ľnke

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 11:56 am 
1000cc Scooter Legend

Scooter Model(s): Scootless Wanker
As it goes with any where you buy a scooter do your reserch.

http://www.mmmsc.org

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 5:10 pm 
Co-Founder & Administrator

Scooter Model(s): et4 and px150
Does retrovespa.com do these too or are those just domestically restored bikes?