* Login   * Register * FAQ
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 4:15 pm 
Co-Founder

Scooter Model(s): Modified, Customized and Sanitized black VESPA ET4
Some of us are going to be balloon wranglers in Macy's parade 2morrow.
Look for us carrying Dora the Explorer!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 11:26 pm 
Co-Founder

Scooter Model(s): '05 Stella
I heard through the grapevine that was the most coveted balloon.

I'll be looking for your lovely faces on TV, while I'm warmer down here in Alabama.

Keep warm,
Allison W.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:47 pm 
1000cc Scooter Legend

Scooter Model(s): Scootless Wanker
Hey David I saw the parade but I didnt see you. I'll check the news later on.

http://www.mmmsc.org

Post subject: Interesting Parade Facts
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 2:24 pm 
Co-Founder

Scooter Model(s): '05 Stella
From my warm comfy position on the couch I learned some interesting Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade Facts.

(According to the announcers on CBS and NBC, definitely correct me if I got something wrong)

Total of 51 balloons
14 "Giant" balloons
Historically, there have been 81 giant balloons, and if you laid them end to end, they would stretch almost the length of Manhattan.

New balloons this year included:
1. Dora the Explorer
2. Scooby Doo
3. JoJo of JoJo's Circus
4. "Healthy" Mr. Potato Head

This was the 79th Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade.
It began in 1924 and 400 made it happen.

Today there are 10,000 people involved in the parade.
There were approximately 2,000 balloon handlers total in this year's parade.
Traffic directors are stationed at the head of each group of balloon handlers helping the crews steer down the street.

This year there were:
600 cheerleaders, and the National Cheerleaders Association has performed for 20 years in the parade.
800 clowns. Historically, 50,000 people have gone to clown school before being in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade over the years.
27 floats. The floats travel about 4 to 5 MPH
2.5 million people were standing on the sidelines as the parade went down the streets.

A "Falloon" is a combo float and balloon; word created in the 1980s

This was the 4th time for Charlie Brown. He weighed 550 lbs and required 51 balloon handlers. And Gene Schultz (the widower of Charlie's creator) is a trapeze artist who practices every day.

The announcers were instructed to call Mr. Potato Head "healthy" this year so the Potato Growers Association can get the word out about potatoes being healthy. He weighed 1/2 ton. Yearly, 34 million people eat potatoes on Thanksgiving. If the balloon were a real potato, it would serve three of the bands in today's parade.

Garfield was filled with 14,000 cubic feat of helium. The teddy bear he was holding, Pooki, was the size of 300 average teddy bears.

The Planters Peanuts Nut Mobile was created in 1999 and has traveled 125,000 miles total. Mr. Peanut's hat would hold 240 lbs of nuts.

Ronald McDonald was half as tall as the Statue of Liberty.

Scooby Doo holds the record for the most comedy cartoons ever produced.

There are a total of 350 Pikachu characters. Pokimon is celebrating its 10th year.

The Holiday Beat balloon, a Drummer Boy was four stories tall.

The Big Bird balloon was tall enough to put the star on top of the tree in Rockefeller Center.
Sesame Street is celebrating its 37th anniversary.
It's the 3rd year for Grover. He held 13,000 cubic feet of helium. He required 66 handlers. And he was 60' long.

The Barney Balloon was bigger than a T-Rex. Barney's hat was taller than three band directors. If real, he would require a glass the height of a telephone pole.

The Humpty Dumpty balloon is considered a piece of artwork. He was designed by artist by Tom Otterness, titled "a smash hit on Broadway."

Sponge Bob Squarepants weighed 785 lbs. He was larger than a typical New York hotel room.

Dora the Explorer was as tall as the Endeavor spaceship. Dora the Explorer was the first Latina character represented in the parade's history.

Chicken Little was taller than a 7 story building. His glasses were as wide as 4 car windshields.

There are 33 million Heresy’s Kisses made every day, and that requires 50,000 cows to make enough milk.

There were 10 marching bands 2 of which were university bands
Somewhere between 300 and 500 bands apply to be in the parade.
The smallest band performing in this year’s parade had 82 members.

Preparation begins 16 months in advance. For example, the organizers already know right now some of the bands that will appear in next year's parade.

The big incident today was the mishap by the M&M balloon. The balloon was swaying side to side before it lost control and flipped a lamp post falling directly into the crowd. One person required medical attention. It deflated immediately after hitting the light pole. The balloon weighed 515 lbs.

In 1997 a Cat and the Hat balloon crashed into a light pole. In 1971 winds were too strong and the balloons did make an appearance. Television viewers like myself were shown a rerun of the 1970 Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade.

Post subject: Gobble, Gobble
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 8:26 pm 
Co-Founder

Scooter Model(s): Modified, Customized and Sanitized black VESPA ET4
Johnny, Maria, Rob, William among a few others I believe were there representing!

It was a fantastic experience (thanks again Dahlia!!!). It started off wet and rainy, but not at all cold. Then, to our surprise, it cleared up before we even got up town. Not a rain drop the entire route. Bit windy, but not bad and certainly a workout (my body is aching right now!). We concluded the parade with a lovely sunbeam warming our faces as we strode past Macy's and the last of the adoring crowd... again fantastic time!

I've uploaded pictures to kodakgallery.com If I figure out how to post a link to the pics I will do so this weekend!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!