* Login   * Register * FAQ
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:05 pm 
Poster Child

Scooter Model(s): Genuine Buddy 125
I am moving from Utah to Manhattan and currently have a Genuine Buddy 125 scooter that I want to bring with me. I understand that this would require me to get insurance and a motorcycle license. I will be working in Times Square and will likely live in either the Hell's Kitchen area or the UWS. In terms of parking, would I be able just to park it on the street or sidewalk outside of my apartment/brownstone? Or does NYC have strict laws on parking? If I can't, where do people usually park their scooters in Manhattan? I don't intend on driving it to work, just on the weekends for fun. Thank for the help and I look forward to hearing your input.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 9:21 am 
Poster Child

Scooter Model(s): Vespa 300 GTS Super
Welcome to NYC. You will enjoy riding your buddy in NYC traffic and possibly learn to be a better driver for being able to navigate the city traffic and the lousy roads we have.
As for parking, you can't legally park your scooter on the sidewalk, you can park it on the street as long as you follow the signs posted.
Since you will be parking on the street I would recommend getting a lock to put on your wheel if you leave it for periods of time as you state you intend to ride it only on weekends.

Parking at the muni metered spots requires you to pay for it and place the receipt on vehicle (even though there isn't a simple way to attach the receipt to your vehicle in a safe way, City will say use a plastic case to keep and display it.
Generally when I use the muni meters I take a picture of the receipt as invariably it will not be on the scooter when I return, I would have been given a ticket and then I will go online, plead not guilty and upload the meter receipt that I took a picture of. NYC DOT had not thought of two wheel vehicles parking at metered parking spots when they put these muni meters in and the NYPD has not applied the law uniformly in all the muni meter spots when it comes to two wheelers.
Once again welcome and enjoy safe riding....