* Login   * Register * FAQ
It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:12 am 
Poster Child

Scooter Model(s): Yamaha Vino
I'm thinking about purchasing a Yamaha Vino to ride to/from work in NYC. I live in NY but am still licensed to my home address in MA.

In MA, this 49cc scooter is classified as a moped which means it only costs $40 to register for two years and it doesn't need to be inspected/insured and you don't need a class M license. However, I'm under the impression that the same bike in NY requires a class M license, needs to be inspected/insured, and has a more expensive plate registration.

In MA, you just get a sticker to put on the moped. I am wondering if it is legal to drive a moped registered in MA while I am in NYC even though I don't have any kind of class M license. Am I likely to get pulled over because the moped doesn't have a plate (NY Style) even though it is registered in MA with a sticker?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:31 am 
Poster Child

Scooter Model(s): Yamaha Vino
I am thinking about purchasing a Yamaha Vino to ride to/from work in NYC. I currently live in NYC but have a Massachusetts state license and my car is registered to MA.

In Massachusetts, this 49cc Scooter is classified as a moped which means it costs $40 to get a registration sticker for two years, does not require a class M license, and does not need to be insured/inspected. As far as I am aware, this same scooter requires a class M license in NY, has a higher registration fee ($195) and must be inspected/insured.

I am wondering if it is legal to drive this moped registered to MA while in NYC. I am also wondering if I will get pulled over frequently due to the fact that the scooter will only have a registration sticker and not a license plate like it's New York counterpart would.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:48 pm 

Scooter Model(s): GTV 250, Mana 850, Stella, BMW R75/6, '64 VBB, '84 MG LeMans 3, '64 GS 160, MG California 1400
JFleet wrote:
I'm thinking about purchasing a Yamaha Vino to ride to/from work in NYC. I live in NY but am still licensed to my home address in MA.

In MA, this 49cc scooter is classified as a moped which means it only costs $40 to register for two years and it doesn't need to be inspected/insured and you don't need a class M license. However, I'm under the impression that the same bike in NY requires a class M license, needs to be inspected/insured, and has a more expensive plate registration.

In MA, you just get a sticker to put on the moped. I am wondering if it is legal to drive a moped registered in MA while I am in NYC even though I don't have any kind of class M license. Am I likely to get pulled over because the moped doesn't have a plate (NY Style) even though it is registered in MA with a sticker?

If it can reach 30 mph its a motorcycle and you need to register it, inspect it an have an M endorsement on your license.