* Login   * Register * FAQ
It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 3:38 pm 
Poster Child

Scooter Model(s): Vespa 1954, 1958, 1959, 1961, 1963
Hi, I acquired over the time several vintage Vespa's and I need some help on registering them in NY state. All four are pre-1972 (50's and 60's). At that point I don't want to insure them, nor drive, just have them registered under my name.

Vespa #1: I do have the CA title and CA registration card but no bill of sale
Vespa #2: No title, no bill of sale (lost document)
Vespa #3: No title, bill of sale available
Vespa #4: No title, bill of sale available

Questions:

a) which documents need to be prepared for the Vespa's (MV-51B)
b) do the bill of sale has to include the $ paid? Do I have to pay sales taxes for just registering the Vespa's?

Thank you very much for you help,

Cy

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 11:33 am 

Scooter Model(s): GTV 250, Mana 850, Stella, BMW R75/6, '64 VBB, '84 MG LeMans 3, '64 GS 160, MG California 1400
You can post this on our FB page as well https://www.facebook.com/nyscooterclub/

cydest wrote:
Hi, I acquired over the time several vintage Vespa's and I need some help on registering them in NY state. All four are pre-1972 (50's and 60's). At that point I don't want to insure them, nor drive, just have them registered under my name.

Vespa #1: I do have the CA title and CA registration card but no bill of sale
Vespa #2: No title, no bill of sale (lost document)
Vespa #3: No title, bill of sale available
Vespa #4: No title, bill of sale available

Questions:

a) which documents need to be prepared for the Vespa's (MV-51B)
b) do the bill of sale has to include the $ paid? Do I have to pay sales taxes for just registering the Vespa's?

Thank you very much for you help,

Cy

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 8:31 am 
Artist-in-Residence

Scooter Model(s): *
I don't know offhand if you can register a motorcycle in New York without insurance -- I know they allow motorcycle insurance to lapse without having to turn in plates like you would with a car (so, for example, you could drop insurance while the bike is in winter storage) but you might need it for the initial registration.

In any case page two of MV-51B spells out what you need to bring with you -- MV-51B, MV-51, MV-82, a photo of the VIN, proof of identity and birth date (e.g. driver's license).

For the scooters without a bill of sale, think very hard about whether maybe a friend sold you the bikes several years ago and would be willing to be listed as the previous owner. Alternately there is a relatively easy registration process in the state of VT that you can do through the mail and then transfer the reg to NY at some point down the road.

It's been a few years since I've done it, but in my experience yes, you do need to declare the price paid and pay sales tax on that price.