* Login   * Register * FAQ
It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: strobe leds for safety
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:42 pm 
Poster Child

Scooter Model(s): Vespa GTS 300
After many years of motorcycle riding and three very bad accidents where people ran into me because they never saw me, I bought a Vespa and I am concerned about being visible. I added some flashing red leds to my tail light, but I want to add flashing LEDs to my cowl to make me more visible. The NY laws seem cloudy; can I do so? Did anyone do so? What did you use? :|

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:44 pm 
250cc Rally Go'er

Scooter Model(s): A Honda VFR isn't really a scooter but don't hate me!
Wyatt wrote:
After many years of motorcycle riding and three very bad accidents where people ran into me because they never saw me, I bought a Vespa and I am concerned about being visible. I added some flashing red leds to my tail light, but I want to add flashing LEDs to my cowl to make me more visible. The NY laws seem cloudy; can I do so? Did anyone do so? What did you use? :|

Rule of thumb would be that any lighting that resembles anything that any emergency, law enforcement or utility vehicle would use, will be illegal for you to use.

That rules out pretty much any flashing lights of any color, anywhere.

You can add fog lamps and marker lighting but it can't flash, and again, the colors have to be consistent with normal civilian vehicle lighting colors and not to be confused with first-responders. For example, no red facing forward.

The only exceptions in any of this are headlight modulators (nationwide by federal law) and in some states, devices which make the brake light flash briefly before going to steady red. In New York I believe brake light modulators are not legal, mostly because they are not specifically legal. Argh.

The other problem you can run into here, and I don't mean to turn this into a cop-bashing thread, is that you can encounter some cops here who get it in there head that somehow your fancy lights must be illegal because for some reason it offends their innate "sensibilities", and you can end up fighting utterly stupid tickets. A clever victim who has the time to spend should be able to defend him or herself successfully even here in NYC but as I always say, once you have to spend the time and money to defend yourself, you have already lost.

You can find an old discussion here:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10177&view=previous

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:13 pm 
Poster Child

Scooter Model(s): Vespa GTS 300
perfect thread for explanation. Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:05 pm 
1000cc Scooter Legend

Scooter Model(s): Suzuki & Honda.
On this site you can find LED light bulbs with the modulating feature. They are expensive, but also last for ever. Make sure they match your scooter.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinf ... /923/2274/

"LED replacement bulbs with brake-flash technology are perfect for vehicle tail lights and brake lights. This 1157 dual-contact, dual-function bulb has 1 high-power LED (3-watt) with an integrated reflector lens for a magnified 320° viewing angle. Brake light flashes 3 times once per minute and returns to steady lighting between intervals. BAY15D 15-mm bayonet base for easy plug-and-play installation—just twist to lock in place. The energy-efficient bulb operates within a wide 9-24V DC range and is designed to last 30,000 hours on your car, truck, SUV, or van—25 times longer than incandescent bulbs. Red color. Not sold in pairs. Price per bulb."

2007 Suzuki Burgman Executive 650 c.c.
1987 Honda Helix 250 c.c.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:45 am 
Poster Child

Scooter Model(s): 2009 Vespa S150, 1979 Vespa P150, 1975 Vespa Rally 200
Hi Wyatt!

I have the Knog Blinder LEDs and use them on my commuter bicycle every day:
http://usd.knog.com.au/bike/lights/hi-p ... ights.html

I can not recommend these enough! They're really, really bright and amazing. They have different blinking modes. They easily clip on to any crashbars on a Vespa.

m